Chapter 12: Sweet Farewell

The unfortunate day has come. Gaara had completed the package we had to return to Kiri. Although he didn't want to finish it, knowing I would leave with its completion, he had to do his job as Kage. Besides, Mei-sensei will be wondering where we are. Ren, Kenji, and I all stood in front of Gaara's desk as he handed me the scroll we had to deliver home to Kiri. "I thank all three of you on behalf of Suna, you have aided us in our time of need without our asking. Thank you," Gaara says and stands to bow at the three of us. "With this scroll you may return to your Mizukage and complete your mission, although I hope to see you soon," he says before sitting back down in his chair. A part of me wanted to cry to leave Gaara after everything that happened, but I knew that wouldn't be appropriate. "Well," Ren began taking notice of my sadness, "with your permission Lord Gaara, we would request to leave tomorrow morning, seeing as though its approaching dark. Would that be alright?" I look at Ren in shock that he'd delay another day, and by the looks of it Kenji was shocked as well. "Of course, whatever makes you most comfortable," Gaara answers and we all three bow and exit the office.

"Why did you delay our departure Ren? You were the one who wanted to get back and report as soon as possible," Kenji asks as we make our way to their guest room. I look at him intensely also wondering his answer.

"Honestly, it just seemed that Mariko had some unfinished business here in Suna, and if I were her, I wouldn't waste a single moment of the time I have left," he says as he looks at me with a wide grin. I immediately smile incredibly wide and give him a huge hug before I race in Gaara's direction.

"Gaara-kun!" I exclaim barging into his office. He looks up wide-eyed but happy to see who it is.

"Yes Mariko-chan? Shouldn't you be gettin-" he gets interrupted by me planting my lips on his face in a long passionate kiss.

"Gaara, I may not see you for a long time, lets do something, just you and I tonight," I tell him while in his embrace. He nods and suddenly sand surrounds our two bodies and we reappear near a beautiful lake. "Wow, Gaara, I never imagined this could be here in the desert," I say to him as I put my finger in the water.

"Yeah well its a sanctuary, not a lot of people are allowed to come here," he says as his eyes follow me as I take off my shoes and strip down to my bandage wrappings.

"Mariko-chan, what are you doing?" he asks me taking off his gourd and putting it on the ground.

"I'm going for a swim, silly. This is the one thing I'm really missing about Kirigakure right now, the cool water..." I trail off as I lay in the water, which is surprisingly not hot, "Gaara, come join me." He looks at the water reluctantly but then at me and strips into his bottom wrappings and steps into the water with me. "Isn't it nice?" I ask him as I face his tomato stained face and giggle.

"It is very nice actually," he says closing his eyes and sinking a little deeper in the water. I smirk coming up with an evil plan. I dive underwater and reappear behind him and drop an abnormally large bubble of water on his face. I gave myself away as he looked up at me annoyed whilst I laughed and my water user marks stopped glowing. "Oh is that how you want to play?" Gaara asks in a teasing way.

"Please Mr. Almighty Sand Wielder, you are no match for my water element!" I exclaimed beginning to spray him through my palms. He, however disappears and turns into water. 'Oh dang, water clone. How does he know that?' I inquire to myself only to be snuck up from behind and completely drenched by a wave of water.

"It seems you forget I was the Kazekage my love," he says with a triumphant smirk and begins to laugh hysterically. I believe it was the most happiness I had ever seen on the powerful red-head's features. I joined in laughing along with him for quite a while, and we played in the water; but unfortunately, good times have to come to an end. After lying on the floor and staring at the stars trying to dry, it was time to go. Just before we were about to leave, I look up to him and give him a sweet drawn out kiss. While in the kiss I lick his bottom lip for entrance, which he parts for me, and we share the most amazing kiss we've ever had. We of course have a short but sweet make out session before we pull apart. "I'm going to miss you," Gaara whispers out to me with his forehead against mine.

"So will I, but I know we'll figure out a way to make this work," I say to him as the sand wraps around us again and we reappear in his bedroom.

"You need to get some rest Mariko, its a long trip back to Kiri," he tells me as we lay in his bed together and he holds me in his arms. I curl up into him and drift away into a peaceful sleep, dreading the morning to come when we have to part.

~-~-~-~-~

It was that morning and Gaara and his siblings came to the gates to bid us a safe trip back to Kiri. "I have to say, I'll miss seeing a cute Mist kunoichi running around, it was nice getting to know you Mariko," Kankuro says to me teasingly with a closed eyed smile. Gaara was slightly irritated with his older brother's comment, but played it off and began to say goodbye to Ren and Kenji. All of a sudden I'm taken into a tight embrace by a certain blonde haired girl. "Bye, Mariko-chan, I really hope to see you soon, thank you for everything!" she says with slight tears forming in her eyes as she hugs me tightly.

"I'll miss you so much Temari-chan! You've become a sister to me," I say hugging her back. I look over her soldier and look at Kankuro. "I'll miss you too somehow," I say to Kankuro teasingly. After letting go of Temari, both her and Kankuro go over to say goodbye to rest of my team while I walk up to Gaara. "I love you, Gaara-kun, I promise I'll be back soon, and I'll try to write as often as possible," I say as I give him a huge hug and finally let the tears I've been holding back fall. Gaara wasn't one to cry, but you could definitely see the sadness written on his features. "I love you too, Mariko, be safe and I'll see you very soon," he says to me lovingly and we share a last quick kiss before I let go.

"Goodbye, my sandy friends! See you soon!" Kenji exclaims disappearing into the desert.

"Goodbye! See you later!" Ren and I say waving goodbye and follow after our energetic teammate. I glance back over my shoulder and smile to see Gaara once more before he disappears from my sight. 'Soon.' I say to myself and follow Ren on our way home.

~-~-~-~-~

"Welcome home you three, feels like its been a century," says Mei-sensei as we stand in front of her desk after just entering the gates of Kiri. We all laughed agreeing with her and handed her over the scroll. Luckily, we didn't run into anymore problems on our return home, we didn't even stop for a break thanks to Ren. "So, how'd it go?" Mei-Sensei asks casually. "Well, lets see... Oh Gaara got kidnapped by those weird cloud people who always paint their nails, oh and him and Mariko got it on! But don't worry he's fine-" Kenji started ranting on about our visit, both Ren and I looked at him dumbfounded before Mei-sensei interrupted him in shock.

"What?! The Akatsuki? They got the Kazekage? They took Shukaku didn't they! Wait does that mean he's dead?" she asks us wide-eyed looking up from the scroll I just gave her.

"No Mei-sensei, I mean yes he died, but one of the elders brought him back. We successfully eliminated two of the Akastuki as threats, one was killed and the other, well Mariko-chan can explain better than me," Ren said trailing off. She then looks at me with an eyebrow raised, clearly still not over the news of the Akatsuki.

"Mei-sensei, it was Kaji, my sister, she was alive and part of the Akatsuki. She never died, and I couldn't get the nerve to kill her so I took away her abilities instead," I say to her looking down ashamed I couldn't bring myself to kill her.

"I understand Mariko-chan. Boys, leave us to talk. I will meet with you later," she says dismissing them as they bow and leave us two in her office.

"Sit," she begins as I take a seat, prepared for a harsh lecture or something, "So tell me, you and the Kazekage Gaara? You have a thing?" She asks me waggling her eyebrows. I look at her annoyed of how immature she was being, but nonetheless she was still the closest thing to a mother figure I had. "Well, yeah," I began scratching the back of my head embarrassed, "I'm sorry, I know thats inappropriate, and probably not the best way to say this but, yeah we're together."

"The only thing thats angering me is that you didn't send me a message or anything telling me! I would have let you stay longer! Spill it! Tell me everything!" she says resting her chin in her hands leaning on her desk.

"Well.." I sighed. This is going to take a while...