Chapter Twenty Seven

"Being with you never felt wrong. It's the one thing I did right. You're the one thing I did right." -Becca Fitzpatrick.

Max helped Skye up from the hospital bed and she slipped her arms into her crutches. "Do you want to see Nathan?" Max asked. Skye frowned slightly but nodded. Max helped her out of the cubicle and thanked the nurse on the way out.

"I still think you should've taken the offer of counselling he offered you," Max said as they walked along the corridor. "Like I said, I'm fine," she replied. Max opened a door for her and saw Tom, Jay and Siva.

"Skye," Tom spoke as he stood up. She headed towards the door but he stopped her. "I need to talk to my boyfriend," she snapped. "I have to tell you what the doctor said first," he told her. "I'm sure Nathan can tell me," she replied. "He can't tell you, Skye."

"What? Why?"

"Skye...babe...he's in a coma," Tom told her. "A c-coma?"

"Yeah. They don't know when he'll wake up."

Skye stayed silent for a moment. She expected a rush of panic and mixed emotions but nothing happened. She was filled with emptiness. It was like someone had just removed her heart and filled the space with complete darkness.

"You should go in," Max told her. She nodded before slowly making her way into the room. At the sight of Nathan the darkness replacing her heart faded and her broken heart returned. All she could feel was her excruciating heartache as she hopped, with the help of her crutches over to Nathan. Tears threatened to fall as she placed her hand in his. "I'm so sorry," she whispered allowing her tears to fall, "This is all my fault."

"No it's not," Tom spoke from behind her. She didn't turn around as he got closer to her. "Skye, none of this is your fault. All he did was protect you. He loves you," he explained. "But now I'm the one who's in pain," she spoke whilst crying. "I know. But when you were at that warehouse he was going through hell watching you get hurt. That's why he gave his life for you, Skye. He didn't want to be visiting your grave because he knows that you have such a good life ahead of you."

"I don't. He's my life and without him I have nothing."

Tom sighed and took Skye's hand from Nathan's. "Babe, he told me to tell you something should anything ever happen to him," he spoke. Skye frowned but nodded for him to continue. "He wants you to go back to America. Find your mum and move to New York," Tom told her.

"What? No! I'm not leaving him!" she yelled. "Skye, just listen," Tom started. "No! You listen to me! I gave up everything for him! I dropped out of college, moved halfway across the world and probably ruined my relationship with my mother! I am never leaving him. He is all I have now," she explained. "He may never wake up. Are you going to live a life wishing that he'll come back to you?" Tom asked. Skye wiped her tears away and looked him in the eye.

"I don't have a choice."

"So, who's going to be Skye's shoulder to cry on?" Jay asked non-sympathetically. "Watch it, Jay. That poor girl was fine before Nathan barged into her life. Since then her whole world has been turned upside down. You will be there for Skye when she needs you. You will take part in taking care of her. If not, you'd better leave now," Max spat. Jay held up his hands defensively and didn't say another word.

The door to Nathan's room opened and Skye and Tom walked out. "Hey," Max spoke as he wrapped his arms around Skye. "How you doing, Babe?" he asked her.

"I've been better to be honest," she replied sarcastically and let out a forced laugh. Max smiled weakly and looked through the window at Nathan. Everyone wanted him to wake up but not knowing when that would be made the whole situation harder. "You're going to be okay," Max told Skye and kissed her forehead.

Jay, Siva, Max and Skye headed home leaving Tom at the hospital in case Nathan woke up. Skye collapsed on Tom's bed beside Kelsey. "Hey," she greeted, "how you hanging in there?"

"I'm trying. I can't be a weak mess because my boyfriend's in a coma. I have to be strong, right?"

"That's the spirit," Kelsey said with a half-smile on her face. There was silence between the two of them before Kelsey spoke again. "I'm sorry for taking you out shopping," she spoke. "Don't be. It was going to happen sooner or later. He'll wake up soon and everything will be okay, I know it," Skye replied. Kelsey stared at Skye for a moment wondering how she could possibly think it could be that easy.

"Skye, if he wakes up, you and him will have to leave. You'll have to go far away and never come back. It's not safe," she explained. "But Jonathon's been arrested."

"There are loads more people still after Nathan."

Skye ran a hand through her hair. "I'm never going to be safe, am I?" she asked. Kelsey hesitated before shaking her head. "Not as long as Nathan's in love with you and by the looks of things that'll be forever," she replied. "He really loves me that much?"

"Of course he does."

Skye smiled at the thought of being the only girl Nathan had ever really loved. She was his forever girl.