Chapter One

A chorus of laughs erupted as someone cracked another joke about Skye's ex-boyfriend. What Chris did had left Skye heartbroken but she still cared about him and didn't like it when people joked about it.

"Just leave it," Skye muttered before marching along the corridor, away from her tormenters. She pulled open the door of her locker and shoved her books inside before slamming the door shut quickly to prevent them from falling out. Skye was sick of this college and sick of the people in it. Apart from Trudy, she was at least tolerable. When Skye had first moved to America, she was at high school. All she got was attention because of her British accent. But now she was at college, being the only British girl didn't do her any favours.

Skye let out a heavy sigh before turning on her heel, ready for the dinner break. Everyone had stopped laughing and talking and were now stood still, watching someone. Skye followed their gaze and her eyes landed on the object of interest. There was an unfamiliar guy strolling down the corridor, a smug grin on his face which immediately irritated Skye. He had a lot of confidence, sorry, cockiness to say he was new at the college. Tattoos covered his arms and he had a stretcher in his left ear. There was a tattoo of a star on his neck and a piercing just below his lip. A few of the shifty students were walking with him. People moved out of the corridor to avoid them and Skye was almost horrified at their reactions. She watched the new guy walk by and turn the corner. Trudy came over to Skye fanning herself dramatically. "That was Nathan," she told her.

"Never," Skye replied sarcastically and Trudy grinned, ignoring her comment. Skye rolled her eyes at her best friend then made her way into the cafeteria. The two of them sat down in their normal seats in the corner of the large hall. They never ate the college's food. It tasted horrible.

"Did you see his lip piercing?" Trudy asked, still grinning. "Who's?" Skye questioned, forgetting about Trudy's growing obsession with the new student. "Nathan's," she replied as if it was obvious. "Oh, yeah."

"It's so hot. He's so hot. Oh my God," Trudy rambled and Skye chuckled, shaking her head at her best friend. "Trudy, would you please stop talking about him." Yet the barely-there smile still remained on her lips. Trudy's eyes widened and her grin impossibly grew as she looked over at the entrance. Skye followed her gaze then raised her left eyebrow. Nathan and his new entourage were walking into the cafeteria.

"Trudy, he's not even good looking and we know that he's bad news," Skye told Trudy but she seemed to ignore her. She sighed, giving up before glancing up to find Nathan stood in front of the table. She frowned as she looked him up and down. He was wearing black skinny jeans which did him many favours and a white t-shirt which barely clung to his torso. His hair was styled into a slight quiff and he had a silver chain around his neck which kept catching the overhead cafeteria lights. He crossed his arms over his chest and Skye looked at him expectantly.

"Can I help you?" she asked him, showing disinterest. "You're in my seat." Nathan's voice would've sounded friendly had he the tone not been as demanding. Skye almost laughed. "Your seat?" she questioned, smirking.

"Yes," he replied, a smirk appearing on his lips at the possibility of someone challenging him, "So if you wouldn't mind moving."

"Actually, I would mind." The muscle in Nathan's arms visibly tensed then relaxed. "You can sit with us," Trudy suggested. Nathan gave her an approving smile before nodding to his entourage. They started talking to Trudy and tore her away from the table so Skye was alone with Nathan.

"Listen, Princess," he started and she rolled her eyes at the generic pet name. "Don't call me princess."

Nathan continued, "I don't know if you've heard of my reputation but people don't tend to mess with me."

Skye crossed her arms, mimicking Nathan. "Well, sorry to disappoint but I'm not 'people'," she replied.

"Please...get out of my seat."

"Please, do be an angel and piss off." The smile wiped off his face at Skye's comments and he clenched his fists as his arms dropped to his sides. He didn't say another word. He just walked away. Skye smiled to herself, satisfied that she'd won the argument and leant back in her chair. She wasn't going to let him push her around.

Ten minutes later, the bell rang so Skye and Trudy made their way to their classes. Skye sat down at the back of the history classroom and put her coat on the empty stool beside her. She placed her books on the desk and looked ahead at the teacher. Nathan was stood at the front of the classroom, his jacket slung lazily over his shoulder.

"Nathan, you can sit beside Skye, at the back," Professor Finley was saying as he pointed towards her. Skye huffed; annoyed that she had to sit next to the cocky bad boy who was making his way toward her desk. She glared at him before moving her coat so he could sit down.

"Skye's a pretty name," Nathan commented as he sat down on the empty stool beside her. "But I much prefer Princess."

"Don't talk to me," she replied bitterly before focusing her attention on Professor Finley's lecturing. She scribbled down notes in her book while Nathan wrote nothing.

"You're going to fail if you don't write something down," Skye told him. He clicked his fingers and smirked at her.

"Why'd you move away from England?" he asked, ignoring her comment. She frowned at him. "It's nothing to do with you," she answered and scribbled down more notes. Then the conversation ended.

At the end of the period, Skye pulled her coat on and grabbed her books, attempting to make a quick escape before Nathan said anything to her.

"Princess," she heard his irritatingly friendly voice say. She closed her eyes for a moment, listing to what he had to say. "There's a party tonight. Are you going?" Nathan asked Skye.

She glared at him. "First of all, stop calling me princess. Secondly, I don't go to parties as I'm only eighteen and I'm not going to break the law and drink underage. And thirdly, piss off," she said to him. Nathan frowned at her and clenched his jaw. "If you're going to be like that then I won't even try to be nice," he snapped. "Great. Now I won't have to talk to you," she replied with a sarcastic smile before marching out of the classroom.

A/N: Photo of Trudy at the top.