Chapter 6 | Pumpkin

Start from the beginning

Wow. He is tall. His curly black hair sits on top of his head perfectly, and his blue eyes are mesmerizing, they highlight his dark skin. He reaches out and hugs her. She hugs him back.

I told Addy she didn't have to introduce us yet. I wanted her to hang out with Jasper a couple more times before I talked to him. She agreed wholeheartedly, knowing I would try giving him a hard time. I've just seen Addy hurt one too many times not to care anymore.

They have a brief conversation I have trouble hearing, then he ushers her out the door. She turns back, winking.

A couple of minutes later, after I'm settled on the couch with my take-out, there is another knock at the door. I heave myself up with a chuckle, wondering what Addy forgot. However, the moment I turn the doorknob, my face falters, and I step backward instinctively. Jake stares at me with beady eyes. His blond hair a mess, just like him.

I want to ask what he's doing here, but I'm unable to form words. Instead, I watch his eyes move from my face, roaming up and down my body. A chill ripples down my spine, and I suddenly feel naked under his gaze.

"Pumpkin," he says. His voice is hoarse.

No way is he going to get into my head.

"What do you want, Jake?"

His eyes widen at my response, and he steps closer, but I step back, putting my hand up. "Do not come near me," I say.

"Isabella, please let me come in and explain."

I stare into his pleading eyes and fight the urge to scoff. "No, you're not coming in. You can stand here."

He takes a tiny step forward, despite my order. "I was drunk, pumpkin. I wasn't thinking straight."

The scoff finally comes out. "And is that some valid excuse now?"

"No, I—" He sighs. I guess he didn't rehearse his lines enough. "I fucked up Isabella, I am begging you to forgive me. I lov—"

I cut him off and admit the silence; I swear you can hear my heart shattering inside my chest all over again. "You do not love me. You wouldn't have cheated on me if you loved me."

"I didn't cheat." The lie comes out of his mouth faster than he has the chance to think. I shake my head, taken aback at how easily he can lie. How did I not see who he truly was before his phone call? My gut was telling me something was off, and I ignored it because I didn't want to ruin our time together when in reality it was already ruined. I had put him on such a high pedestal, the only way he could go was down. That was my fault, I thought he was perfect.

"Tell me the truth," I say, but it comes out as a whisper, as tears threaten to spill.

Silence.

"That's what I thought." I nod, shutting the door.

"Wait!" He uses his foot to stop it from closing. His hands reach out, and he pulls me against his body. His smell that once calmed me invades my nose, making me sick.

"Jake." I push his chest.

"I'm sorry baby, I'm so sorry," he whimpers, resting his forehead against my cheek. His touch feels like pure radiation, slowly killing me.

He holds me tighter. I try prying him off, but he doesn't budge. I try moving my arms and legs, but they don't give way. So, I think fast and clamp down on his lip with my teeth.

He instantly releases me.

His fingers brush his bloody lip, and he stares at the red mess on his fingers, then back at me in pure shock. "Don't you hear me?" He steps closer. "I said I'm sorry! How much more—"