CHAPTER NINE

Ella sent a letter to the headmaster that night, explaining that she was going to take some time off for personal reasons. She hoped that he would understand. Curled up on her couch, in her case, Ella took a sip of hot coco and stroked Sadie who was curled up against her. Tina and Queenie had been ignoring her and left any room that Ella entered. Newt had tried to talk to her but she always zoned out and became uninterested. She did feel guilty that she hurt his feelings but she needed some time alone. Grindelwald was right. She wasn't accepted. Ella set the maroon mug down on the table beside her. A fire blazed in front of her, captured by the fireplace around it. Reaching over Ella pulled out the book Newt had given her for Christmas. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Ella was already 20 pages in and was enjoying every bit of it.  Each page had a different beast and information about it. She set it aside quickly and stood up. A record player was set in the corner. Picking up one of her favorite songs she set it on the machine and played it. A soft tune came out and played throughout the room. Settling back into her chair she picked the book back up and opened it to her last marked page.

A soft knock broke Ella from her reading trance. She jumped and slammed the book shut by accident. Shit! She cursed mentally as she scrambled to find her lost page. Once she got her page she looked over her shoulder to see Newt standing there with an envelope. Ella could barely make out the wax seal. It was Grindelwald's mark.

"This is for you." He said walking forward and handing her the envelope. Ella gingerly took it from him.

"Thank you." Ella said quietly.

"Who is it from?" Newt asked peering over her shoulder.

"No idea." Ella lied smoothly. Newt nodded and walked out. Double checking he was gone. Ella flicked her wand and the door shut and locked. She opened the seal with slightly shaking hands and pulled out the crisp parchment. She gasped and dropped the letter. Bloody fingerprints dragged down the end of the parchments. She was shaking as she picked the paper off from the ground. She read what he had said.

Tisk tisk Ella. There will be consequences if your friends find out any more. Tread carefully dearest Ella. I hope you loved your father. I'll see you soon.

Ella covered her mouth and the letter fluttered to the ground again. Tears ran down her cheeks. He killed her father. Ella angrily wiped the tears. They didn't have the best relationship with him but loved him anyway. She fell back into the couch. There was a rough knock.

"Ella?!" Someone said urgently. Ella ignored it and looked into the bright flames of the fire and sobbed. She was so stupid to go to Grindelwald. Her world was being torn apart by every day. Sadie pawed at her leg. Ella batted her away. The top of the case was flung open and footsteps thudded down the wooden stairs. There was a gasp then a pause. A rustle of parchment told Ella someone had picked up the letter. A pair of arms gently wrapped around Ella, pulling her into a warm embrace. She barely registered any of it, due to her brain going haywire with the news.

Tina felt immense guilt and self-loathing after reading the letter. Them finding out had caused someone close to Ella to die. Ducking her head she turned and left the case in silence. Queenie watched as Tina left before turning to Newt who gave her a small nod. She rushed off to comfort her sister.  Newt cradled the fragile woman in his arms. She didn't deserve any of this. Her life had been turned 180°.  He carefully and slowly picked up the girl who was trying not torch into his chest and carried her to her room where he set her gently on the bed. Making sure she was comfortable first he moved to lie next to her she curled up burrowing her face in her arms. Her shoulders shuddered as she tried to hold back all of her emotions. He slowly ran a hand through her hair trying to sooth her.  

Ella's emotional outbursts soon became soft snores, signaling she was asleep. Life had taken its toll on her and she needed rest. Newt stayed by her side to make sure nothing bad happened. White marks on her arm caught his eyes. Glancing up, he made sure she was actually asleep before slowly pulling up her sleeve. He gasped quietly. Faded burn scars covered patches of her arms. He licked his lips and sighed. He would need to talk to her about this later after she had slept.

He stayed with her until Ella woke up. Her eyes slowly fluttered open. Newt noticed her eyes didn't carry the normal bright shine in them. They were dull and gloomy.

"Hello." He said quietly. Ella just groaned quietly and pushed her face into her arm, squeezing her eyes shut. Newt pursed his lips. She shifted, the sheets rustling from under her. Her hand wandered for a second before finding Newts. She laced their fingers together. Taking his free hand, Newt brushed her hair away from her face. Ella shivered slightly as his fingers brushed her ear. She moved so she was practically hugging Newt. Her face was buried into his chest and their hands were clasped between them. Ella closed her eyes again and let Newts soft breaths lull her to sleep once again.

When Ella woke up an hour later, she laid there thinking about Grindelwald. If she joined him would all of this stop? Would she be a peace? She looked up at Newt who was asleep. Guilt stirred in her stomach. As slowly as possible untangled herself. Newt shifted but stayed asleep. Once untangled and out of the bed Ella went to her study room and wrote a letter to Grindelwald, telling him to meet her in ten minutes in central park by the fountain. She shrugged on her coat and grabbed her wand. She glanced back at Newt who was sleeping peacefully on the bed. Tears pricked at her eyes but she wiped them away hurriedly. Leaning back over the desk she wrote a second note for Newt when he woke up.

I'm sorry. Don't come and find me. Take care of my creatures. I love you.

Tears fell from her eyes, staining the parchment. She quietly set the note on the bedside table. Leaving the case she apparated to the busy street. If on cue she saw the man in all black. As confidently as she could she walked over and handed him the note for Grindelwald.

"Give this to him." She hissed. The man nodded before disapparated.

Ella walked the streets in silence. It was an unusually quiet day. Dark clouds had rolled over the city waiting to unleash its rain on the city. Ella walked through the park until she made it to a large stone fountain. A man leaned against the light stone rim. She paused for a second before walking forward.

"Ah Ella... so good you see you again!" The creepy voice of Gellert Grindelwald said with a sly smile that made Ella's insides crawl. Finding her voice Ella spoke up,

"I want to join you." She deadpanned. Grindelwald's eyebrows shot up. He grinned maliciously.

"Only if, my friends stay safe." Ella added.

"Consider it done."

Ella gulped regretting saying anything.

"You made the right choice Ella." He said putting a cold hand on her arm. Ella flinched. In a blink, they were gone.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed! What did you think? And yes I made that edit. Today's question: Favorite villain or bad-guy from HP movies or books? Admin answer: Tom Riddle (not Voldemort)