CHAPTER THREE

"Jingle bells, Jingle bells, Jingle all the way!" Queenie sang as she used her wand to make a spoon stir a pot of something smelled absolutely delicious. Ella sat on the sofa hunched over a piece of parchment. A half-eaten gingerbread man lay on a small plate. A steaming mug of te sat in front of her. Tina sat at the dining table looking over some files that the ministry had sent her. Newt had disappeared into his case and had yet to come out.

"Are those new?" Said a voice from in front of her. She looked up from writing to see Newt gazing at her hand were pink scars ran down her arm and to her wrists. She looked at the scars and then back at Newt.

"And if they are?" She said quietly.

"It means it's getting stronger Ella." Newt said softly. Ella set down her quill and looked at Newt.

"I've lived this long and I don't see why these scars are going to stop me."

"Ella, it means you need help."

"I'm not a child Newt, I can control it." She said sharply. Newt looked hurt. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap at you." She apologized. Newt shook his head.

"You had every right, I was poking around where I shouldn't be." He accused himself.

"No, Newt I've just been really sensitive about that topic lately."

They were both quiet for a couple seconds.

"What are you writing?" Newt asked peering at the parchment.

"A lesson plan for the second semester." Ella picked up her quill again. "I don't know what I'm going to have them do next. We just finished Thestrals." She said biting her bottom lip.

"How about Unicorns or Hippogriffs?" Newt offered. Ella nodded.

"I don't want to scare them with something big. I think Unicorns would be good." Ella said jotting something down onto her parchment.

"I would be willing to lend some of my creatures for you to let your students study." Newt offered after thinking about it for a few seconds. Ella looked up with a surprised look.

"Really? I thought you were too attached to them to let them out of your sight." She joked.

"I could also come by as a guest speaker if you'd like that and if Headmaster Dippet will let me." Newt said sheepishly.

"I would love that." Ella smiled.

Ella finished her lesson plan for that day. Nibbling on the end of the half eaten cookie she thought about the man that she had seen twice. Each time he looked at her then looked away. It must have had to be a coincidence.

"Dinner is ready!" Queenie called from the kitchen. Ella looked up and set down the cookie. She stood up. Looking over she saw Newt had fallen asleep on the couch. Leaning over, she shook his shoulder lightly.

"Newt, wake up dinner is ready." She said softly. The man opened his eyes groggily. She smiled slightly and walked to the dining room and sat next to Tina. Newt slowly walked into the room and sat down in a chair across from her. Queenie put out an assortment of soups, breads, vegetables, meats and anything else. Ella put a little bit of everything on her plate.

"Queenie this is delicious!" Ella said taking a sip of the soup. Queenie beamed.

"Thank you, it is a family recipe." Queenie responded. Ella nodded and ate the rest of her food. Newt and Ella sent each other glances every so often. Ella blushed when they looked up at the same time and caught each other's eyes. Newt felt a warm feeling in his gut that he hadn't felt in a long time. Tina served them dessert, chocolate cake that she had gotten from work. That too was very good.

"I can't believe we have two days until Christmas." Queenie said excitedly. Ella smiled. She loved Christmas so much.

After dinner, everyone was back doing their own thing.

"Ella want to show you something." Newt said grabbing her hand and taking her t his case. They both entered and Newt led Ella to a familiar habitat. Newt whistled and there was a clap of thunder before the bird that Ella loved so much came flying down. He let out a delighted screech when he saw her. Ella laughed and walked up to the bird. It nuzzled her happily. She smiled and stroked it feathered face.

"Hello, Frank." She said quietly. The bird closed it's golden eyes and rested its head in Ella's arms. Ella turned to Newt,

"Where do you find him?" She asked.

"He found me first." He said with a small smile. Newt tugged off his jacket and put it aside. He rolled up his sleeves and put his hands in his pockets. Ella gave Frank a kiss on his beak before stepping back and letting the bird fly back up to its perch. Ella walked back over to Newt.

"He's so amazing!" Ella said happily.

"He definitely is."

Ella looked around to see strings of tinsel and ornaments were strung up.

"You decorated." She observed. Newt scoffed slightly.

"Of course I did. You're not the only one who likes Christmas." He said as they strolled around. Newt stopped.

"Ella?" He asked.

"Hm?" She looked up at him.

Newt moved his head down and kissed her. Ella was stunned for a second before accepting the kiss and kissing him back. Newt put a hand on her waist and pulled her closer. Ella put a hand on his shoulder. Her heart beat rapidly. They both pulled back for air. Ella smiled. Newt was blushing a deep red. Ella chuckled lightly.

"I've waited to long to do that." Newt said quietly.

"I agree." Ella responded. Pulling him close Ella rested her head on his shoulder. Newt rested his chin atop her head. They both just stood there enjoying each other's company. 

Awwww.... What did you guys think? does anyone have a ship name for them? Also, what's your Patronus? I'm curious. My Patronus from Pottermore is a Kingfisher bird. - Nat