First Christmas ↣ Parent!Dan & Parent!Phil

"Alright, (Y/N), just be very careful..."

Dan holds you tightly as you lean forward and try to spread the green icing carefully on the cookie.

Of course, being only four, you end up just dropping all of the icing into a big glob on the cookie—and the kitchen counter.

You look up at Dan and frown. Dan looks down at the messy cookie, then at you.

"It's beautiful," he says simply.

You break out into a small smile.

"How about some sprinkles?"

You nod excitedly.

Dan carefully sets you down on the countertop and opens the cupboard.

"Alright..." Dan says, twisting his mouth. "We have...red crystals, rainbow sprinkles, or...chocolate." He looks down at you expectantly. "Which would you like?"

"Hmm..." you chew on your bottom lip before clapping your hands together. "All of them!"

Dan smiles a little to himself and grabs the bottles of sprinkles.

"Um, Dan...?" A voice says.

Dan turns and sees Phil standing in the doorway.

"Yeah?" He smiles, closing the cabinet door.

"Why is our daughter sitting on the counter in a pile of icing?" Phil asks, laughing a little.

"We're baking Christmas cookies, Daddy!" You exclaim, smiling up at him and kicking your little feet back and forth.

"You're making Christmas cookies without me!" Phil whines, lightly hitting Dan's arm.

Dan looks down. "Well...you were still sleeping...and I...I didn't want to wake you up."

Phil rolls his eyes and smiles. "I think that's just an excuse so you can eat all the cookies..."

Dan smiles at his husband. "Alright, alright. Just help me get the rest of the cookies out of the oven."

You reach your arms up toward Phil, who smiles down at you and lifts you off the counter.

"You ready to help us decorate, (Y/N)?" He asks as he sets you down carefully on the kitchen floor.

"Yeah!" You exclaim, happily jumping up and down. You peek through the oven window at the cookie tray inside.

"(Y/N), don't get too close to the oven, love," Phil says, taking your hand and gently guiding you back.

You nod and bite your lip, anticipating the moment the cookies are taken out of the oven.

Dan opens the oven door, and the sweet smell of sugar fills the air. A scream also fills the air as Dan touches the scorching hot cookie tin.

"Ow ow ow! Da—"

"Dan..." Phil warns.

"—Dang it." Dan winces and looks at Phil, an embarrassed blush on his face. "Dang it..."

Phil just gives him a look and squeezes your hand.

"That's what happens when you get too close to the oven," he whispers to you.

You nod, eyes wide. "Can we dec-or-ate them now?" You ask carefully.

"Yep, we can decorate them..." Dan sucks his teeth. "Just as soon as my hand stops burning like the pits of—"