Chapter 25 - Dead Inside (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"To be haunted is to glimpse a truth that might best be hidden." James Herbert

Adam stood and watched Lily's chest contract and expand as she breathed a sound-less slumber, he watched her with both knuckles taut, his kind eyes were now empty pits of rage.

He did not speak, nor move. For hours he stood as still as a Gargoyle and watched her until his rage consumed him with the force of a thousand exploding stars. Then, and only then, did he lean forward, his face barely an inch from hers, with dead eyes Adam reached for the pillow at her side and held it aloft over her head.

His hand trembled as if he fought against the vacuous anger that bubbled and boiled beneath the surface. Finally, with a smile, he lowered the pillow...

Lily gasped and sat up bolt right, her entire body was soaked through with sweat, her heart beat so fast that she was convinced the Devil had just whispered a bitter truth in her ear.

"Adam..."

She looked around the room and shuddered, the room held an unnatural darkness, one that as of late, she had quickly grown accustomed to.

She called out to him once more and gasped as a shadow darted from the room and into the kitchen.

She followed with dread and wondered why she was so scared.

Adam was her angel, he would never harm a single hair on her head, she loved him with every fiber of her being. He knew it, she knew it, yet despite her love for him, she knew he held her responsible for Roses death. How could he not?

Lily flicked the light switch and cursed under her breath as the lights instantly flickered and waned. Leaving the room in nothing but darkness once more.

"Adam?"

She walked towards the kitchen slowly; her dread had only increased with every second that passed. She stood in the kitchen and frowned something was wrong.

She once more tried the light switch, this time the light shed by the defunct bulbs was minimal. Despite the minimal lighting, the message was crystal clear.

Written on the fridge door in blood was the word, JEZEBEL.

Lily screamed and instantly retrieved a knife from the knife block. She held it tight with blanched knuckles and glared at the block.

Two knives were missing. She held one in her hand. That meant that the other must be...

"LILY..."

Lily turned on her heels and stared at the shadow that stood in the room.

"Adam?" She asked stepping back from the evil that radiated out of him.

Adam laughed and walked closer with the knife pointed at her heart.

"Adam Stop!!!"

She screamed and moved her own knife into a defensive position.

Adam stood still and watched her, Lily noticed with dread that his eyes had an amber tint to them.

"I love you, Lily..." He grinned.

Lily lowered her knife slightly and Adam lunged at her.

She screamed, dropped to the side and slashed out against his leg.

The knife slashed his flesh, blood trickled outwards and Adam merely looked down at his leg and laughed.

Lily pulled herself to her feet and ran for safety, half way to the bathroom she stopped abruptly and screamed as she was dragged backward by her hair. Adam licked her face and whispered in her ear.

The voice sent shivers down her spine, not because it probably was the last words she would hear but because the owner of the voice clearly belonged to her dead sister.

"JEZEBEL..."

Lily screamed in rage and slashed her knife in Adam's leg, this time the blade became jammed in his bone. He screamed in rage and slashed his own knife down against the long tuft of hair that held her in place.

With her hair severed and in his hands, Lily ran for the bathroom.

"JEZEBEL!!!" Adam screamed and ran after her with the blade still jammed in his Femur bone.

Lily slammed the bathroom door shut just before he crashed into it, she dead locked the door and Adam did not scream but instead laughed louder and began to smash his body against the bathroom door.

Lily held the door with all her weight against each impact and screamed with tears.

"I'm Sorry!"

The bangs ceased and Lily breathed easier.

"For what?" he spat through the door with enough rage to make her back away.

"For ruining my life? Deceiving me? Luring me? Or killing Rose!"

Lily collapsed against the door and burst into tears. This all had quickly become a nightmare, one she wanted to wake up from as soon as possible.

Adam whispered through the door, despite his whisper she heard him perfectly clear.

"You think you're sorry now? You just wait till I get through that door... Then you'll be sorry." He laughed and once more commenced with smashing his body against the door.

The door was looking more flimsy with every crash and Lily knew it was only a matter of time before he got inside.

She stood and made a decision, if she was going to die then she was going out on her terms, not his. She stood, unbolted the door and stepped back.

Adam crashed into the room and stared at her with those dead eyes of rage.

Lily smiled at him and began to walk towards him.

He sneered at her and held the blade ready to strike...

Lily held her hands open and whispered.

"I love you, Adam..."