Chapter 13 - Ignorance is Bliss (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"Envy is thin because it bites but never eats." Spanish Proverb.

Adam shut the door of the bar behind him and sighed; this had been the last of the five bars that this quiet suburb had to offer and all had been a waste of his time. If Frank was truly hitting the bottle, he was doing so reclusively.

Adam revved his car engine and had an epiphany. He knew exactly where Frank would be and felt moronic for taking this long to realize. Adam overtook several cars as he sped towards the graveyard. Towards Rose's resting place. You'd think he'd be more mindful of the road considering but some habits are hard to break.

Xxx

His engine sputtered as Adam spun around the bend, this car was a rental and without sounding ungrateful, you could tell. Slowly he pulled up to the graveyards makeshift car park, that was mainly loose cobbles and marked by vast overgrowth, the car park was perhaps the bitter truth to the philosophy of undertaking. It was all about making money and was reflected by the fact that not a single penny had been spent on this car park.

Adam stood looking out at the countless headstones marking the graveyard itself, he knew without a doubt that Frank would be here, He'd be a drooling mess and most likely be violent. But Adam could handle Frank, it was after all the least he could do. What was a bloody nose or a black eye after all; Rose was dead because of him.

Adam walked down the gravel path, noting that this too was in need of financial upkeep, as sections of the path had become, precarious to say the least.

Adam sighed as he approached Rose's Epitaph, he glanced around expecting to see discarded bottles of whiskey and an inconsolable pensioner, instead, he heard the muted and fretful tears of a woman.

The sound sent a wave of terror up his spine. For one scary moment, he actually thought he was hearing Rose from beyond the veil. Then he saw Lilly, knelt before the Epitaph, her hand on the stone as if she wanted to join with the rock itself.

He didn't expect this at all, he approached slowly and as audibly as he could, but Lilly didn't register his presence.

Adam coughed. "Lilly? Are you okay?"

Lilly paused as if she was a statue, and slowly turned her head towards Adam. Adam gasped as he saw the terror painted in her eyes.

He quickly knelt beside her, taking her hand in his. She responded with a shiver, even though the midday sun was strong today.

"Lilly? How long have you been here?" He asked noting that her eyes were bloodshot.

Lilly smiled weakly at him as if he wasn't real and was actually a figment of her imagination; she turned her back on him. Something about this whole thing scared him shitless; slowly everyone he knew was losing their fucking minds.

He had had enough; repressed anger bubbled, frothed and exploded to the surface and in one swift movement, his hand lashed out; not for the first time in his life.

Lilly's head rolled back, her eyes were now clear and wide. Adam, who never thought that it was possible to actually hate himself more than he already did; quickly learned that anything was possible.

Lilly wept in her hands but surprised him when she looked up at him and spoke with clear clarity.

"It's my fault she's dead!" She whimpered.

Adam stared at her, mouth ajar and eyes narrowed.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Adam sat beside Lilly and listened as she spoke quickly.

"I used to wind Clara up like a toy, whenever Rose brought you to visit, that night the argument started because I brought up the wedding." She spoke head bowed in self-loathing.

"Why? I thought you liked me?" Asked Adam as he stared at her trying to understand.

Lilly laughed, wild and self-loathing.

"That's exactly why..." This time she did look up at him.

Adam swallowed involuntarily and stared at Lilly.

"Oh..." Was all he could manage, Lilly was very attractive, any male with eyes could see this.

But he never even considered this, the way she acted around him, the way she never had any male interests, all lead Adam to assume she was interested in the fairer sex.

Lilly laughed but looked visibly hurt at the same time.

"This was all my fault and she knows it," Lilly spoke slowly as she lifted the back of her shirt up. Revealing the dried blood and deep scratches.

"Holy Shit Lilly what the fuck have you done to yourself..." Adam looked at the word scratched angrily in her back.

"Jezebel..." Adam lowered her shirt and shocked her by hugging her tightly.

"Lilly... everything is going to be okay, you just need help."

Lilly sighed in his ear, her breath sent shivers up his spine. Maybe he did know how she felt? He wondered as his heart rate quickened and he hugged her tighter.