Chapter 9.2 - Black Boding Barghest.

Frank floated back to reality as he heard a low growl; from the corner of the room. His teary, bloodshot eyes, flicked open. He searched the darkness for the source of the noise. Amber eyes stood out in the darkness. The growling became more guttural and threatening, as the eyes floated closer to him.

Finally, he saw it. A dog! A fucking big black hound! How had it gotten into the room? The black dog grinned and pointed its snout to the window, that was wide open. The curtains blew fitfully in the darkness. Frank lay in bed; paralyzed from head to toe with fear. The dog sneered and exposed its innumerable, deadly canines.

His head moved slow, almost as if his body consisted of petrified wood and not flesh. The large black dog approached closer, its eyes never wavered from Franks. With every step closer the dog grew braver, and in contrast, Frank grew more terrified.

Frank tried to close his eyes and block out reality in a desperate attempt to rationalize the irrational. Yet, it only seemed to make the situation worse. The dog howled in triumph and turned Frank's hot coursing blood to ice.

A heavy weight pressed down on his chest and legs. The weight seemed to cut off his oxygen supply. He breathed with heavy labored gasps, his windpipe felt deathly tight.

Frank opened his eyes, half pleading with God and himself that his suspicion was wrong. It wasn't. The dog was sitting on his chest, those amber eyes glaring into his own. The dog was grinning, Frank was screaming. A barrage of human laughter spilled forth from the dog, the laughter was cold and wrathful. Frank in a wild panic finally broke the paralysis that held him. Only managing to regain partial control of his arms his hands raised slowly as if they were made of lead.

The dog's eyes darted to his hands. It's amber iris widened in shock for a micro second. and then the shocked expression was replaced with murderous intent. The dog's paws shot forward with a shimmering speed and pinned his arms down with supernatural strength. Wide and powerful jaws opened, spilling white foam into Franks screaming mouth. Frank felt the liquid as it shot down his throat, he swallowed on pure reflex. The dog smirked one last time before its jaws clamped down on Frank's neck. Pointed canines punctured his skin like sharp needles.

Frank screamed in agony and closed his eyes, not wanting the last thing he saw in this miserable life to be a dog covered in his lifeblood. Suddenly, the restricting weight and paralysis vanished. He opened his eyes and laughed with a victory as the dog was gone. His laughter fell short-lived as he touched his neck and felt warm wet liquid. He frowned slowly moving the hand up to his face and saw that it was dripping with blood. As soon as he laid eyes on his blood, his neck violently spurted blood in a powerful jet stream.

Frank sat forward in shock, with one hand desperately trying to cover the puncture wound in his jugular. He watched as his arterial blood spilled forth onto the sheets. Onto a sleeping Emily and finally onto the walls and ceiling. Frank fell out of the bed, slowly pulled himself to his feet and ran to open his bedroom door. He was trying to get to the bathroom and the first aid kit that would prolong his life. But the door was locked. He smashed his body against it but it refused to yield. Frank's panic grew until he ran around the room screaming in terror. He called out to Emily and violently shook her, but she never woke. Instead Frank covered her in more of his life's blood. He heard laughter from the open window and turned expecting to see the dog, instead, he saw Rose.

She was dressed in her burial gown. What was once white silk had now become muddy and stained with blood. Her irises shone with an amber glow. Her teeth monstrous canine fangs, there was blood covering her mouth and lips. She was floating above Franks second floor bedroom window. She smiled, her head still at that familiar snapped angle. Frank whimpered and fell to his knees. Rose glared down accusingly at him. The love behind his daughters' gaze was long gone. Staring at her now he realized Rose had no love left in her, only hate and anger. Frank fell face forward as the last of his blood exited his neck and his body spasmed with shock. Yet, all the while, his eyes remained fixed on Rose, who was dancing as his blood rained down upon her.