Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

She came to slowly, with voices swarming in her head. They were soft and few at first, but the closer she got to consciousness the more intense the volume and amount grew. She couldn’t single any one voice out and she didn’t try to. All she wanted was for them to go away so she could sleep.

Until one voice screaming at the top of its lungs jolted her awake and her eyes snapped open.

Kay found herself in a new location, lying on a bed in a small room. For a few minutes she simply lay there staring at the ceiling and willing her heart to slow down to a normal rate. Hearing the screaming voice had startled her pretty good. It took a bit for her to calm herself,. When she did she attempted sitting up and immediately regretted it when a wave of nausea and faintness slammed into her. She clutched the bed and squeezed her eyes shut. The voices came back. Kay groaned. Was there no peace for her anymore?

At length she decided to take things a step at a time. First to get rid of the voices. With her eyes closed as they were, she focused on ridding herself of all unnecessary voices and scenes that were playing out in her mind. Once that chore was finished she realized that her headache and nausea from a few minutes ago were gone. They obviously came as a package deal.

Kay stood up slowly in case she had another dizzy spell – which fortunately didn’t happen – and headed for the closed door. When she opened it she saw another small room, only slightly bigger than the one she had exited. There was room enough for a living area and a tiny kitchen, but not much else.

This must be one of the temporary living huts they use while on duty here, she thought. Interesting. She made her way out into the open more, keeping her attention on the room and wondering if anyone was in the house with her.

The next voice that spoke answered her question. “Glad you’re awake.”

Kay spun around, surprised to see Vector standing a few paces from her with his arms behind his back. He rocked on his feet a little, his eyes darting about and focusing on everything but her. Kay was just as uncomfortable and unintentionally mimicked his actions.

When her gaze drifted to the window and she saw the stars in the sky, however, she was on full alert again. “How long have I...?”

“Few hours,” Vector replied with a shrug. “That Master Emerald packs quite a punch, I guess, huh?”

“Yeah.” Kay looked around the room again, then asked, “Where is everyone else?”

“Oh, they’re around somewhere. Knuckles is still on the Shrine Isle.”

She nodded. “Of course.”

There was an awkward silence then while each of them searched for something to say. Finally, however, Vector sighed and said, “Kay...I realize this is about two weeks too late, but...” Here he paused to make eye contact with her for the first time that night. “I’m sorry for...you know. With Geoffrey.”

Kay briefly recalled the misunderstanding from a couple of weeks before, when Vector had caught Geoff holding her hand after having released her from being his prisoner. Vector had mistakenly thought the two were dating, which had surprised even Espio.

She laughed once. “It’s all right. We were all pretty stressed that day.”

“I was just worried, you know,” Vector began explaining quickly. “After the concert when I couldn’t find you...I just—”

“I know.” Kay smiled reassuringly. “I’m sorry, too.”

He grinned a bit sheepishly. “So...are we good, then?”