Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

A few explanations and introductions later, Sonic and Team Fighters were all caught up on Kay’s reasons for being in Station Square and her newfound powers. When it was all said and done Sonic nodded thoughtfully.

“Well, that would explain why your eyes changed color on me, and why Eggman is still after you,” he said at last.

“Eggman doesn’t know,” Kay told him. When he gave her a confused look, she went on, “He only wants to use my knowledge against you. He doesn’t know I’m the Emerald’s Chosen.”

Sonic processed this and replied, “Oh.”

“You idiot!” Someone yelled behind them. When Kay and Sonic turned to locate the source they saw an angry Shadow power-walking towards them, glaring daggers. Rouge walked along calmly behind him. Once he had gotten closer, the black hedgehog continued his rant. “You’re not supposed to just let the doctor take you like that. I watched you. You didn’t even call out!”

Kay frowned at him, the events of the day wearing down her patience for him. “I knew no one would hear me over the sounds of the battle.”

“And once again someone had to come to your rescue,” he growled. Kay clenched her fists, anger beginning to boil inside of her. Luckily, Sonic came to her rescue for the third time that day.

“She broke the roboticizer,” he told his dark doppelganger calmly, coming to stand at Kay’s side.

For just a fraction of a second Shadow seemed surprised, but his burning glare erased the emotion quickly. “Your point?”

Kay was rapidly growing tired of his angry attitude, and she snapped her reply at him. “The point is, I do have Chaos Energy inside me. I just don’t know how to control it. And if you refuse to teach me...” She turned to Sonic once more, “I need someone who will. Fast.”

Sonic gave her a questioning look. “Someone to teach you Chaos Control?”

“Not just that,” she answered, rotating her position so that she faced Sonic completely with Shadow out of sight. “From what I understand, my opponent uses nothing but Chaos Energy, which means I need to learn all aspects of it. Not just how to become super.”

The blue hedgehog nodded in understanding. “I see. You need someone like Shadow—”

“I won’t help,” Shadow snarled.

“Then back off,” Sonic muttered, giving his dark twin a quick glare before turning his attention back to Kay. “Or Knuckles.”

At the mention of the red echidna, Kay was flooded with memories and feelings that were not her own. She recalled briefly how Knuckles had lost what remained of his people when he failed to defeat Thrash the Tasmanian Devil in a battle that raged across the planet via warp rings. That was why Espio had been unable to contact him on Angel Island a week before when they were still testing their theory that Kay was indeed the Emerald’s Chosen. In losing track of his enemy the Guardian became the last surviving echidna on all of Mobius. Knuckles had lost his mother, his family, and Julie-Su that day. He was taking it very hard.

Remembering all of this, Kay frowned in concern and asked, “Do you think he would? After everything he’s been through?”

Sonic shrugged in response. “Who knows? If nothing else, he can point us towards another candidate. He’s the only guy I can think of to teach you something like that besides Faker over there.” He jerked his thumb towards Shadow, who simply grumbled in response to the name.

Kay thought about it for a moment. Asking Knuckles to teach her (or anyone else, for that matter) would mean leaving the United Federation behind. While she was fine with forgetting she’d seen any humans during her stay here, she felt bad about leaving her trainers after only a week of lessons. No, she wouldn’t need hand-to-hand combat to battle her opponent, but Shadow and Rouge had taken the time out of their busy lives to help her when they could have been going on missions for G.U.N. It seemed like such a waste now.

Still, time was running out, and she needed someone to help her control the powerful force inside of her. If Knuckles was her best option, she had to get to him as soon as possible.

Finally, after what seemed like ages of pondering, she replied to Sonic’s suggestion. “I guess it’s worth a shot.”

“Then it’s settled,” Sonic said, nodding towards his teammates. “You can hitch a ride with us and we’ll head up to Angel Island to talk to him. But first we should clean up the mess Eggman left behind.”

“Agreed.”

With that business out of the way, the small group of Mobians began to disperse. Kay and Shadow exchanged glares before he and Rouge headed off to help the rest of the G.U.N. soldiers. Sonic, Amy, and Tails split up to help wounded civilians and give everyone the all-clear. Meanwhile, Kay thought of Commander Tower and decided she should tell him of her upcoming departure. She was just beginning to walk towards H.Q. when a voice from behind stopped her.

“Hey.” Kay turned around and found herself face-to-face with Silver the Hedgehog. He had recently joined Team Fighters after having announced that Princess Sally was the traitor he’d been looking for and that he wanted to help rescue her. Silver opened his mouth to speak and stopped, giving her a curious look. “I remember you. Didn’t we meet in New Mobotropolis?”

She remembered how he had opened the hospital door in her face and smiled a little as she replied, “Yes, we did.”

“Cool.” He smiled, then recalled what he had been about to say and lowered his voice somewhat. “Uh, anyway...I didn’t want to say this in front of the others because I know how they are about this kind of stuff...but I don’t think you’re supposed to be in this timeline.”

Kay felt as if he’d just punched her in the stomach. He was the first to realize that her presence on Mobius was unexpected and abnormal, but the thought of her not belonging on the planet made her feel terrible. She had grown accustomed to life here so quickly that she often entirely forgot about her past. Remembering that she used to be human made her wince. Kay sighed.

“I know,” she mumbled in response, “but it’s too late to change things now.” When Silver nodded, she felt a bit encouraged and added, “Besides, if I’m the Chosen, Mobius needs me in this timeline. The Master Emerald wouldn’t have selected me otherwise.”