Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Oh, great, Kay thought as she sat up in bed bright and early the next morning. I get to tell Shadow and Rouge what happened last night. She stood up slowly and smoothed down her quills somewhat (though she knew she didn’t have to), making her way to the door. I feel terrible already. Rouge is the only one who has actually been teaching me; Shadow has just been testing the skills I’ve learned. How on Mobius am I going to explain this to her?

As always, she ventured down into the G.U.N. cafeteria for a light breakfast. She’d learned quickly that eating heavy before a training session was not a good idea. The other agents had all stared at her at first, as if they’d never seen a Mobian in their HQ before. Within a couple of days their eyes found something else to look at, though, and Kay was left alone. She did her best to stay away from the humans. Even Hope, who had tried to talk to her a few times since her arrival.

I’m stalling, Kay thought to herself as she finished up and practically crawled her way to the never-ending maze of hallways that would lead her to the training room. She always liked to practice what she would say in situations like this beforehand, that way she could clear her mind and plant herself firmly in her decision before making contact with anyone. Only this time she couldn’t seem to focus on anything. The Master Emerald was still showing her everything.

She was slowly learning to control what and how much she saw at once. It took some doing on her part, and she usually ended up with a headache afterwards, but she could focus on one particular event and watch it unfold in real time without any other images distracting her. She didn’t prefer doing so, however. She had tried that once before to see what Espio and the Chaotix were doing, and she was so dizzy she couldn’t do anything but lie down for three hours after that. Therefore she had decided only to focus on one thing if the situation was dire.

The good news was that she could dampen the Emerald’s strength to a certain degree without any painful consequences. Kay had slowly begun to limit her visions only to what was necessary. She didn’t watch Mobians she didn’t know or know of – that was an invasion of privacy besides being just plain awkward. Instead she watched Team Freedom, Team Fighters, Team Chaotix, and the few villains she had met during her stay. This kept her from being too overwhelmed and also alerted her to incoming dangers much faster. And as a bonus, there were no headaches to accompany her concentration in this manner.

Every once in a while the Emerald would still show her an image outside of her limits when it was important. Right now, for example, Kay noticed that Silver the Hedgehog had recently joined Team Fighters on their rescue mission. Sparks flew between him and Sonic at first, but after a brief talk they settled on a truce and got back to work.

She was standing right outside of the training room now. She had stopped just before the open doorway to try and focus on what she was going to say and do within the next few minutes. After a short while of standing there and not coming up with any solutions, she shrugged helplessly and turned the corner.

“There you are,” Rouge said almost instantly. Kay glanced up and saw that she and Shadow were standing in a corner near the weights. The bat was already walking towards her and Shadow, as usual, remained where he was, half-glaring at her. “We were beginning to wonder if you were coming today.”

Here goes nothing. Kay took a deep breath, her heart pounding with nervous energy, and said, “I need to talk to you guys.”

“Well, here we are,” Rouge said with a half smile, putting her hands on her hips. “What’s up?”

“I...I received a vision from the Master Emerald last night,” Kay muttered, still racking her brain for what to say. When nothing came up (again), she sighed. Aurora help me. “I want you to know that I am very grateful for your taking the time to teach me...but—”