Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Kay sat on the couch nearest the stairs in the lower level of HQ, her back leaning against the arm of one side so that she was facing the entrance. Her eyes were glued to her lap as her thoughts drifted from one subject to the next. Knowing everything meant that her brain was seeing several things happening at once and she had no control over it. It kind of made her head hurt.

Thankfully, her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps on the staircase, and soon the massive figure of Vector the Crocodile appeared. He stopped walking as soon as he saw her and just stood there on the bottom step, obviously taken aback at her presence so early in the morning.

Kay attempted a half-smile and said, “Morning.”

He tore his eyes from her and dipped his head. “Hey.” His gaze drifted over the room, looking at everything but her. “You the only one up?”

“Espio’s upstairs,” she replied.

He nodded. “How long have you been awake?”

“I don’t know. Maybe an hour.” He said nothing in reply, so she attempted to keep the conversation going by asking, “How long have you been up?”

Vector laughed once, but there was no humor in it. “I never went to bed. I’m surprised anyone could sleep after last night.”

Kay observed him for a moment, noticing how exhausted he looked. She saw him lean against the arch around the bottom step tiredly and said, “You should probably get some rest. You look worn out.”

“After everything that happened yesterday…” He took a deep breath and let it out in a sigh, shaking his head. “Yeah, I am.” Finally he moved from the last step and slowly strolled past her en route to his room.

In the brief moment that he was by her side Kay was completely connected to Vector through the Master Emerald, and what she saw in his mind startled her. She turned around to face him as he walked away from her. “Vector?”

He stopped his advance at the same time that she very nearly leapt from the couch and strode to him. He turned to look down at her, making eye contact for the first time. She stared up at him in disbelief. “That’s what you’re upset about?” She figured he’d been hit pretty hard with the truth of who she was, but his thoughts had told her otherwise. Vector gazed at her, confusion written into his features. Kay frowned and spoke quietly. “Geoffrey?”

The large crocodile’s eyes hardened and he jerked his head away from her. After a few moments he sighed and threw his hands into the air exasperatedly. “Yes, all right, it’s been bugging me. A lot.”

She stared at him. “Why?”

“Why do you think?” he snapped. “I take you to a concert that blows up on everyone. I turn around, you’re gone, and when I find you you’re with him. And he’s…” Vector shook his head, obviously irritated. “…holding your hand.”

Kay’s mind instantly flashed back to yesterday afternoon. Immediately following her interrogation and aware that her friends were looking for her, Naugus-in-Geoffrey’s-body had helped her to her feet and then kept her hand in his. That’s how Vector and the Chaotix had found them. This whole time I thought he thought I was working for Geoffrey, Kay realized in alarm, but in reality he thought we were a couple! I don’t believe it!

“Vector,” she said hurriedly as she took another step towards him, “I just met him yesterday. You can’t possibly think that we’re…” She couldn’t bring herself to say the word.

Vector fixed his cold gaze on her. “Dating?”

“We’re not!” she exclaimed, looking up at him desperately. He simply turned away in reply, no words escaping his lips. The silence that stretched between them was deafening. Kay tried to start again. “Vector, I…I…” Nothing was coming. She’d always been able to counter with something, but this time her mind was drawing a blank. She couldn’t find the right words to say.

After a long, tense moment Vector began to walk away again.

“Wait,” she said, but again that was all that came to her. Vector stopped, briefly glancing over his shoulder at her before resuming his course. Kay could only watch in silence as he widened the gap between them.

I don’t believe it, she said to herself. He thought Geoffrey and I were dating! I had no idea he liked me as anything more than a friend; we only met a couple of weeks ago! Why can’t things just stay simple? I hate having to deal with problems like this. Then she realized, actually, I’ve never had to deal with a problem like this.

“I was able to contact Commander Tower,” a voice said behind her, making her jump a little. She tried to calm her nerves somewhat before turning to face Espio. He frowned and observed how upset she looked, then focused his attention on a certain crocodile who was halfway inside his room. Vector watched the two of them for a moment longer before disappearing completely and closing his door behind him. Espio quickly looked back at Kay. “Are you all right? What just happened?”

Kay shook her head and tried to gather her thoughts as she stepped closer to Espio. Her emotions were on a rollercoaster, but she pushed them aside and attempted to focus on what the chameleon had said. “Nothing.”

Espio watched her a moment longer. “Are you sure? You look like you’re going to—”

“I’m not,” Kay said firmly, cutting him off before he could say the last word. Then she sighed and said, “What about Commander Tower?”

Espio wasn’t convinced, but he decided to let it go and replied, “I was able to contact him. We discussed the possibility of a G.U.N. agent training you.”

“And?”

“Well…seeing how you’re Mobian, there are two candidates that would be best suited to the task - both of which are available right now. However, whether they will train you is entirely up to them.”

Kay looked at the chameleon. “That’s not all.”

Espio blinked. “No. They’re going to have to meet you first, which means you’re going to have to travel to their location. Then, if they accept the task, you’ll have to stay with them in Station Square.”

Seeking information was effortless for Kay now. She immediately recalled that Station Square was the capital of the United Federation. She also knew exactly where the city was in relation to New Mobotropolis. So, after considering the pros and cons, she nodded her approval of the idea.

Then she stole another glance at Vector’s closed door.