Prologue

Prologue

Dr. Eggman stood near a window in the lower half of his Death Egg II and glared out at the peaceful horizon before him. Everything was going completely wrong. He’d brought that human girl to this time period and turned her into a Mobian so that he could harness her knowledge and use it to destroy Sonic and the Freedom Fighters once and for all. Yet no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t seem to hold on to her.

It’s my own fault for releasing her in the first place, he grumbled to himself. If I’d kept her in orbit above Mobius none of this would have happened. Then he frowned and shook his head. Oh, well. That’s in the past. I need to focus on the present and figure out how I’m going to get her back. I must have her or my plans will be ruined. Eggman thought about all of the possible ways he could capture her this time before remembering the Chaotix and growling in irritation. But even if I get a hold of her, how will I keep her in my possession? The irritating Freedom Fighters will only come to rescue her again. Blast it all!

Eggman swung a fist at the glass and let out a frustrated shout, turning his back on the green-and-blue world and becoming lost in thought once more. He tugged on his moustache contemplatively for a long time before he finally began to nod; slowly at first, and then with more enthusiasm.

I must bide my time, he decided, and see what opportunities present themselves. And by Aurora, once I have her, I will not let her out of my sight again!

At that moment there was a click, and a small, cube-shaped robot popped out of the ground and looked up at its master.

“Beggin’ yer pardon, chief, but we’re headin’ for the Arctic Refueling Station like y’all wanted,” the robot said, his voice thick with a cowboy accent. Dr. Eggman sighed in annoyance, pinching the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger.

“I really need to fix your voice chip,” he muttered, “but first things first.” The doctor folded his hands behind his back and turned to gaze out the window once more. “Get me Lien-Da.”