Chapter 10

What is a girl to do, when she loses her admirer? In fact, what is she to do if she loses both of the admirers? That girl should definitively take the matter into her hands and make it the best night of her life. I wasn't going to mope in the corner. That's not what a witch would have done, even one that is trying hard not to be one. That's what any girl with a natural self-esteem shouldn't do. And so I decided to have the very best night out in my life.

I put the beer down, leaving it on the mantel next to the loving couple as I decided to call them. As far as I was concerned, Jake and Mike could have applied for registered partnership, if they were so inclined.

I looked around the room again. Some of the groups of girls and boys were about to possibly mingle, although they were still very much separated by an invisible barrier of their own insecurities. I listened closer to the live band - they weren't too good. It took me half of the song to realise what song they were playing a cover of and even then it was just because I knew the lyrics. But the rhythm they chose for the song felt good. I liked the drums, and the guitar was not too bad either. I closed my eyes, happily ignoring the rest of the band, focusing only on the drums and the guitar. I could feel the music flowing through me, around the whole room. I could have a swim in it if I tried. It was filling the void between the clustered people, separating them even further. I focused on the individual parts of the music. I could see the primal music at the core. The music that wanted to be let out and be freed, attracted by the expectant crowd around the room. I let the music to flow through me and I started to move with it. I was enjoying the primitive call hidden deep inside. I could feel the crowd starting to responding. It felt a little bit like vibrations coming in waves as they started to join in. First, the girls started to move, then the guys joined in. They were slowly reaching to each other breaking the barrier. I could feel the anticipation building in the room. I was smiling. It was a great feeling. I was not sure where I was beginning and where I was ending.

The tempo changed a bit and I could feel other dancers around me touching me on occasions as the dancing area was getting more and more crowded. The crowd pushed me slowly to the centre. The bodies made a cocoon around me, it felt like being in the spotlight despite the fact the room were dark. It was the right place to be and I felt content. I had fun.

I opened my eyes and saw Jake standing a couple of metres away at the very same spot where I left him with Mike. He was alone now. He was looking directly at me trying to get glimpses of me through the crowd. He locked my gaze with mine. His eyes were for once full of life. The sea of bodies parted and we started to slowly walk towards each other. I am not sure how long it took. The time around us slowed down. Suddenly he was just a breath away.

"You are glowing." He whispered looking at my lips. And then he kissed me. Or I kissed him. Or it was the music vibrations and the crowd who was circling around us that pressed us so closely our lips met. I was not sure but I didn't care. Jake tasted sweet, just like in my dream. And then he was not sweet but we were kissing passionately. Jake hugged me and I could feel him all around me. We were melting into each other our energies mixing amplified by the energy I released from the music. It was one big celebration of life.

Suddenly the music stopped. The people stopped dancing. The time started to move again. I could feel the change in the mood in the room but it was so hard to stop kissing Jake. He had no idea what was going on.

I gasped for air breaking our connection. His look was a bit in a haze as if he were dreaming. I looked around. The couples formed around us were looking a bit confused around as if ashamed they actually started to mingle. The spell was broken. I felt like waking up from a dream, the energy calmed down around me. Only one person didn't look confused. Mike. He was staring at us, standing in a puddle formed from beer and broken glass, his eyes full of a sudden realisation.

I slowly realised what happened. Mike saw us kissing and dropped the glasses with beer, causing a disturbance in the room, breaking my spell. He looked hurt and angry. He just turned on his heels and started to walk away. I felt like I should talk to him like I should explain. I shook off Jake's hands and left him standing in the middle of the room. I started to run after Mike before he could disappear into the night. I made it out of the pub into the cold night. It felt colder than before. I called after Mike trying to make him stop. I was not sure if he heard me. I thought he was simply pretending not hearing me. He speeded up and he was now almost on the High Street. I wanted to run after him.

Out of nowhere Jonathan stepped out of the shadows and stopped me. Mike disappeared from my sight.

"I guess now the date is over, you would have some time to do what I asked for?" He looked serious. The lack of life energy around us made me shiver. His eyes were cold but that's maybe because they were grey. He looked very pale the street lights were not exactly flattering for his complexion.

I looked at him confused. I felt trapped. I needed some space just to go over what had just happened in the pub.

"Speechless? It seems like it was quite an eventful night." He said as if he were commenting on the weather. Did he see what had happened? Why was he here?

"Here you are. Hope you had fun so far." Jonathan greeted Jake who just came out the pub. Of course, how could I had been so stupid? Jake doesn't do much without Jonathan. Whatever is their deal, they come as a package. I was angry. Jonathan was observing me.

"Just for the record, Jake was supposed to negotiate with you your time. I don't have time to waste." Jonathan explained as if he were apologising.

"Yes, I understand - you are innocent. It's Jake's evil plot. Oh, come on, as if Jake had his free will. What about sticking to the time we actually agreed on?" Jake wanted to say something but Jonathan lifted his hand and stopped him. My point proved.

"So the blood?" I asked. The sooner the business is done, the sooner I would get rid of them.

"Consider it done. Once you do your part of the job." He said though he sounded very reluctant. It was not clearly an easy decision for him.

"So, now, what's the deal with the girl?" I asked.