Chapter 7

Despite everything that was going on, the extra shift in the pub was going well. There was something calming about the usual banter. It was not a particularly busy evening, after all, it was Thursday, so I had time to talk to the usuals. Even Mark was today almost focused on the work. I guess miracles do happen sometimes.

Later in the evening, I felt Jake and Jonathan arriving. I appreciated they kept to the far corner and simply sat down. The fewer memories they left, the better.

"Jane, you are getting a fan club," I swear Mark sounded almost jealous. He was looking towards the corner where the guys were sitting. I realised he was maybe a little more perceptive than I credited him and decided to maintain the appearance by offering them a drink. After all, we were in a pub.

They were watching me as I approached.

"Any drinks?" I offered.

"Are you offering?" Jonathan asked lazily with maybe too much of interest to my liking. Jake looked at him with rather a disgust.

"In your dreams only," I responded matter-of-factly. I didn't plan on becoming someone's snack tonight. I looked at Jake. "And you?"

He nodded, looking relieved. Not that it would be the completely satisfactory answer, considering the range of drinks on offer, I decided that will do.

"OK, I will bring it over. You owe me £8," I said.

"£8? What are you talking about? At what point I ordered champagne?" Jake protested, but I dismissed him: "2 drinks and a tip for the effort. Fair price."

At that, none of them said anything.

"By the way, it's bar service. Welcome to England." I uttered as I was walking away, more for the benefit of anyone who overheard our not really existing conversation. However, it's easier to amend a memory than to create one and I felt it was the safest way.

When I came back behind the bar, Mark was looking with interest as I was pouring two beers for them.

"Foreigners," I muttered as if that was the natural explanation why they expected me to come over.

"Well, if you provide such a service, you can clean up the back as well," Mark shook his head in half mocked disbelief. I was not sure what was more surprising for him - the fact we now offered table service or the idea that there were some foreigners in our little local tucked away pub. I let him let his little victory, delivered the beer and cleaned up the tables. Then I did my best to let thing happen normally.

When it was time to close the pub and everyone except Jake and Jonathan left, I left Mark thinking it was his idea to dash out. He felt a bit guilty about leaving me to clean up the rest, but I thought it would be good if he felt a bit guilty. It would be handy another day.

I poured myself a glass of wine and sat down across the table from Jake and Jonathan.

"Drinking at work? Nasty habit," Jonathan greeted me. The joke mostly amused Jonathan himself.

"First, I have just finished. Second, we are in a pub. Third, I haven't liked you to start with and you are not making it any better. Should we go straight to the point?" I didn't offer them a refill. After all, I suspected Jake drank both beers. Jonathan straightened up. He looked a bit more threatening, but finally I got the feeling he meant business. Jake was observing us with an interest. He looked as if he found the whole situation amusing. I guess he appreciated someone talked Jonathan down. I had the impression it didn't happen often.

"I seek a witch," Jonathan said dramatically. I guess vampires like to overdo things.

"Really? What a surprise," I was growing impatient. I wanted to speed up the things as much as possible. "Could you be a little more specific?"

"I need a witch to get rid of a ghost." I looked at him suspiciously. Generally speaking, you don't need a witch to get rid of a ghost. I never heard of a vampire that would need to get rid of a ghost. Plus this was a first time I heard about something like that.

"Can you provide a few more details? No offence, but it sounds a bit random. Why should you have a trouble with a ghost?"

"Well, I think in your expertise..." he started but I jumped in: "I have no expertise."

That surprised them both. Jonathan looked quite speechless. Jake was looking quizzically from me to Jonathan and back. He looked also a bit relieved, to be honest.

"Jon, maybe it's not the right girl." He said hopefully. The whole situation was becoming rather odd. Why should he be happy about me not being the right person? Or rather, who did they think would be the right person?

" I am certain it is her. The instructions were clear." Jonathan was sounding a bit grumpy if that was possible for vampires. Jake was thinking about something to say. The situation needed an intervention, otherwise, I had the feeling we would simply stay there sitting for quite some time.

"OK, guys. In case I actually am the one you are looking for, tell me what it is about," I urged them to clarify.

"Jonathan is haunted by a ghost from his past. When he was alive." Jake said and he was looking relieved. He didn't look at Jonathan but at me. He was smiling like it was just a date and we discussed a naughty child. Jonathan was not very comfortable.

"That's absurd." It was hard not to laugh. That was it? How could be a vampire scared of a ghost? It wasn't making much sense.

"It's not funny. I see a girl I used to know in the eyes of all women. She is haunting my dreams and does not let me rest." He sounded very serious. He was talking quietly, not his usual threatening self. He looked almost human and he looked tired. It was clear he prepared his speech so it was exactly to the point.

"So are you in?" He asked.

"Why me?"

"That were the instructions. To put her to rest, we needed to find a specific witch living in the right area." I flinched a bit when he said a witch. I didn't consider myself a witch. That was everything I never wanted to be.

"Yes, for a price." Jake looked surprised. I was not sure if it was the part that I agreed or the part when I asked for a price. Jonathan eased up a bit. In his vampire world, that was how things worked.

"Your blood," I said and looked at Jonathan. He was expressionless. It was a lot to ask. Jake looked at me as he ever thought anything good about me, there wasn't much left. He was truly shocked by my demand and what it implied for both me and Jonathan. Or for him.

"Not for me, I am not going to drink it," I added. But it was not enough. It just wasn't enough to explain my demand or make it sound reasonable. It was just something I needed to try.

"OK, think about it. Let's talk on Saturday. I need to go now, so just leave and I will lock."

"Saturday? It's Thursday now. Let's do it tomorrow," Jonathan objected.

"You were OK to wait for so long, you can survive couple more days. I am busy tomorrow." And I needed to think it through. Was it even worth it?

They both stood up and simply left without a word. Maybe I did ask for too much.

When I was coming home, I picked another flower. No more silver lily, this time it was forget-me-not. The message was clear and I knew my price was reasonable. It's no joke to play with a ghost or vampires for the matter.