Chapter 4

It wasn't easy to fall asleep - I was half expecting that they would come back, or worse, someone else would show up. But as the night progressed and nothing happened, I simply allowed myself to rest.

The morning was like any other morning. Sun was surprisingly shining and you could have thought that it was still summer. I decided to be a good girl, so did what I had expected three years ago when I came: walking the kids to school, doing bits of chores and having some study time before it was time to walk them back. Overall, it simply seemed it was one of those days when you enjoy what you get.

By the mid afternoon, I had decided to simply forget about the whole incident. One shouldn't be too suspicious - my mother always said that if you thought about something too much, it would find you. For once, she was right.

I was looking forward to seeing Mike. It was more or less our first official date. Well, it was definitively our first movie date.

Mike was a bit dream come true. There was nothing much special about him, exactly as I wished. Of course, I liked the way he looked and the way he looked at me. Well built, brown hair, he was just a little taller than me. In many ways, we matched. I think he would jump from a bridge for me if I asked. So sweet. He had been asking me out for some time and in the end, I just decided to give him a chance. After all, one needs to have some social life too. Plus it was yet another thing to talk about with Saira.

The evening followed the usual scenario that was more or less expected. We went for a movie that Mike chose. It was a bit boring, but it was nice to feel Mike's heat next to me. Plus he looked like a sweet puppy when I pretended I found it vaguely interesting. Then dinner - I went with his suggestion for the steak place, then a few drinks. And in the end, we end up kissing in the autumn night under a lamp, pretending this was a good night kiss. I liked to feel his heat around me, his lips. I liked the smell and the amused murmurs of the trees around. It was just so nice, though I couldn't help stopping thinking it might have been so much nicer if I were kissing Jake. Mike and Jake had the same colour of hair if I just closed my eyes, would it feel the same? Or was Jake a better kisser? His hands around me, I could feel I am melting in his embrace. But then the heat was replaced by cold. Ice and dark hair. The stillness. The kiss was more dangerous and more exciting.

"Whoa, no more drinks for you, young lady." I opened my eyes and looked up. I was looking into Mike's bland brown eyes. He seemed very pleased with himself. I was shaking. I was tempted to look around just to check I was really kissing just Mike, not anyone else. This was simply a bit wrong and I felt a bit guilty.

"I am sorry, I should go," I said and he looked quite surprised.

"What's up? You seemed to have fun."

"I know. I am sorry, I forgot about the time. I need to go, it's too late." I waved my hands in some vague gesture and started to walk towards home. Mike tried to keep me company - he wasn't sure what to think. But then, neither did I.

"It's fine, I am almost home." I stopped Mike, so he would let me go. I needed to get away, to pull myself together a bit. This was new to me. I mean, of course, I kissed a guy before. Even a guy who was nice on the paper, nothing more. But one thing a witch should be is a present in the moment. The life is about life, the reality is here if you care to see it. That's something to keep in mind even if you were not technically a witch anymore.

I had to be running home because when I made it to the doors from the front garden, I was out of breath. I was sometimes like that when my body started to run on autopilot. I opened the garden door and then stopped by the entrance to the house. I realised there was a silver lily in the middle of the garden, shining brighter than the moon. It wasn't good. I picked it up.

I quickly entered the house and run to my room, then closed the door carefully. The lily was shining so bright in my hand I felt I didn't need to switch on the light. I set down on the bed. I knew I made a mistake the night before. Now I knew I was in a trouble. It was a message. Now it was me, who needed to speak with Jonathan.