Chapter Thirty-Five

Sometimes in life, people get caught up in the little things and lose sight of the big picture. The stress of responsibilities and commitments cloud the sight of the things that really matter. People start to put work before spending time with the people that matter; they spend years slaving away, only to be left with money. Wealth becomes an object of obsession for some and it’s so easy to be sucked into a habitat where appearances, possessions and money is all people strive to have the best of. These people who get too caught up in the fast lives they’re living often die without knowing what a true love feels like or experiencing staying up all night, simply being with the one who means the most to them. The only thing that these people are left with is money, a huge house, and an empty heart. I, Breanna McDell, would have been sucked into this world of greed and infatuation with a sickly thing if I didn’t meet the boy that stole my heart when I was seventeen years old. This boy saved me from so many things; from people who didn’t love me and a world that would have pricked my ability to be a loving person. I would have grown to be a bitter and snide person if I didn’t find the love of my life, who showed me what true love felt like.

            As I drove down the interstate in the pouring rain in the middle of the night to be with the only person I’ve ever truly loved, it’s all crystal clear. I know that Eric saved me from a world that would have swallowed me whole and I need to tell him; I need to show him and finally let myself be where I’m happy. He doesn’t need to own a house in Beverly Hills and drive a flashy car to make me happy. I need Eric and his garden and that little stone brick house to be happy. I need nights filled with slow dancing in the living room and cozy mornings in bed with my sweetheart to feel content. 

            As the warm feeling of happiness and being in love grew in my chest, I found myself pulling into a familiar drive at an unreasonably late hour in the night. My body aches from the traveling, but my heart was thumping with excitement and my smile was firmly fixed in place. A gust of wind shook the car and the rain pelted down on the windshield; even still, I honestly thought it was the most beautiful night in a long time. 

            I got out of the car and I was instantly soaked by the rain, but I didn’t care; the only thing I cared about right now was seeing him. I grabbed the suitcase from the backseat and locked my car before trudging up the path to the row boat. I threw the bag into the boat and grabbed the rope that held it to the dock. I got into the boat, which was moving nonstop from the rough waters. I tried balancing myself, feeling sick as the boat tipped back and forth with violence. I managed to get a tight grip on the ores and started to row. 

            Waves crashed into the wood of the boat, shaking it from one side to the other. My vision was blurred from the rain falling into my eyes and my breathing was heavy. After what seemed like hours of rowing, I hear someone screaming behind me. 

            “Bree, what are you doing?!" I heard someone scream from the bank of the lake. I didn’t reply; I didn’t have the energy or the time to talk to anyone. I was determined and my mind was set on seeing Eric and the fire in my chest wasn’t going to stop for anyone. 

            I rowed faster and faster, as my upper arms started to burn and my lower back ached. I didn’t know how much more I could take of this, but I knew that I couldn’t stop.

            “Bree, it’s not safe! You need to come back!" I hear the voice scream again. I turn to look back to see who it was and the rest was a blur of vision; but I could feel it all.

            I felt the water tipping the boat over and my head hitting the hard wood. I felt the whole boat turning and tipping me into the harsh water of the lake. I could feel myself drifting down and down further into the water that was engulfing my body and pulling me down. I felt myself wishing I took up swimming lessons when my mother offered to sign me up for them when I was younger. I felt my heartbeat in my ears and I felt my head pounding from where I hit it on the boat. And then it all went blank.

_____________________

            One beep, two beeps, three beeps.

            Where am I? I feel like I’ve just been put through a washing machine. My head pounded with every irritating beep I heard. I tried moving, but it felt like my limbs were stones, sluggishly restraining me to the bed. 

            “Bree? Baby, are you awake?" I heard my favorite voice say, quietly. 

            “Eric, what’s going on?" I asked, trying to look at Eric. Why can’t I see him? Why won’t my eyes open? 

            “Bree, you need to calm down, okay? Just breathe," he whispers. I feel him take my hand in his.

            “Why can’t I see you? Eric..." I trail off as I slowly start to sit up in what I assume was a hospital bed. The beeping was starting to quicken as I felt myself start to panic. “Why can’t I see?" I scream, clawing at my eyes. They wouldn’t work, even though my brain screamed at them to open; to show me anything. 

            “Baby, please," Eric said. I could hear the pain in his voice. 

            “Why can’t I see you, Eric?" I scream again, hot tears streaming down my face.

             “You were in an accident and the doctors… They-they think you’re blind," He says. Even though I can’t see him, I can feel the sob wrack his body. 

            “Wha-what?" I stutter out. “How?" I ask before hearing him breathe in a gulp of air. 

            “Well, you hit your head as you fell from the boat. That, mixed with the lack of oxygen flow to your brain, harmed the part of your brain that controls your vision. They don’t know how long it’ll be until you’re better; that is, if you’ll get better at all," he whispered, and I feel him take one of his hands off of mine to wipe the tears off of my face. “You came back, and that’s all that matters," he continues with a voice so fragile that I almost cried out myself. I hear him sniffle. 

            “I’m sorry that it took me so long to figure it out, but I want you, Eric; I’m in love with you and I want us together for the rest of our lives," I say, squeezing his hand.

            He brings my hand up to his lips and I feel him kiss every one of my scarred knuckles before whispering, “Our forever starts today, princess."