Chapter Nine

We stayed in the clearing for a while after that. It could have been hours or it could have been minutes, I really couldn’t tell you. I was just so happy being here with him and knowing how far we’ve come together. 

            We made our way back to the boat and he rowed us home while he quietly hummed, something I’ve grown to find extremely relaxing. It’s evident he’s got a beautiful voice, from what I’ve heard, and I’m dying to get him to sing for me one day. 

            “What are you thinking about?" he asks as we come to the last stretch of water before the lakes bank. 

            “You," I reply, making him let out a smile and look down at his feet, and I also see a hint of a blush cover his face. Oh my God, I made him blush. I felt like I had won a trophy or something and the smile that overtook my face could easily light up a city. 

            We finally arrived at the shed, but before we could walk in, he scoops me up, bridal style, and walks me into the house. 

            “Eric, what are you doing?!" I half giggle-half screech while I quickly wrap my arms around his neck for security. 

            “Well, it’s tradition that the bride must be carried over the threshold of the house on the first night. And I know you’re not my bride, but girlfriend is just as good to me," he says. I lean up and kiss every inch of his face I can find and he lets out a giggle. 

            He flopped us down on the couch, with me seated with my legs draped over his thighs and my hands still around his neck. 

            “Eric?" I say softly while twirling a strand of his hair between my fingers. 

            “Yes, my love?" he replies and gives me all of his attention. 

            “Why did you move schools?" I ask. He takes a deep breath and hugs me closer. 

            “It’s a long story and you might be a bit surprised, but just stay with me okay?" he says with sadness in his voice. This must be really heavy stuff since he’s biting his lip, which he only does when he’s nervous. 

            “Honey, you don’t have to tell me anything, you know. It’s fine," I replied, squeezing his hand. 

            “No, I really do have to tell you. I’ve been keeping it a secret for way too long," he started and I nuzzle my head into the crook of his head, waiting for him to continue. “Well, at the time of my, shall we say, ‘darker days’, I was actually seeing someone. Her name was Kylie. She was dangerous and crazy and I loved the idea of something like that. She was into really bad things: you know; drugs, stealing, stuff like that. One day I was walking home and she asked if I want a lift. I took it and from then on in we kind of had a thing. She brought me out with her everywhere and she showed me off like a trophy to all of her friends. She couldn’t keep her hands off me. But I was always alone. That was the most loneliest I’ve ever felt in my life, when I was surrounded by bad people. She pressured me into doing things I didn’t want to do. She was too wild and I should have known better. ‘Eric, you’re such a pussy. Just smoke one damn joint; it’s not going to kill you,’ was the first time she snapped at me when I wouldn’t agree with her. So I gave in. It then went from weed to ecstasy to every other drug she could force down my neck, and then she’d make me wash it down with a bottle of Jack Daniels. I was so afraid that she’d just dump me like I meant nothing to her when he was all I ever thought about. In the back of my mind, I knew she was just using me but I couldn’t bring myself to stop. I dropped out of school, I lost all my friends and I became a walking disaster who slept all day and stayed out all night and I hated every second.