Chapter Twenty-Seven

I take a deep breath. This is it. He’s waiting for me to speak my mind; a mind that has been closed off to the both of them. But the boy in front of me is who I picked, who I need; and I’m praying this all works out.

            “I’m sorry for making you wait. It’s just that my heart and my head screamed two different things; but I know now. I know what I want and what I want is you. It’s been you for a long time and I’m sorry that I was so stupid as to almost let it slip through my fingers. I’m here now, and I just want to know if we can try? Try us? We could start over, you know? A clean slate and it’ll just be us, no complications or interferences. I just needed some time to figure it out, but I’m here now; and I’m asking you for my chance," I rush out as I lock eyes with him. Eyes that make me feel dizzy and at home all at once. He takes a deep breath, obviously processing what I’ve just said. 

            “Y-you really picked me?" he stutters as the rain pours down hard. 

            “Yes, baby. I want you," I say just above a whisper. 

            He gently grabs my face and crashes our lips together. My skin tingles and I finally feel happy. I know this was the right thing to do. I feel at home with him. The rain pelts down on our tangled bodies, but I couldn’t feel a thing. The warmth I felt from this embrace overpowered every one of my senses. We both pull back gently and our foreheads rest on each other’s. I bite my lip, trying to stop a smile from taking over my face. He holds me softly and I felt like I could die right there and be completely content.

            “I love you, Mason," I whisper. 

            “I love you too, Breanna," he replies and kisses me softly before pulling me into his house and out of the rain.

            That was the beginning of our story; a story that still makes me smile when I tell it to everybody who asks about it at the engagement party five years later. How he would woo me every day by doing something to make my heart melt. How we finished school and went traveling. How we found far off lands full of beauty and wonder together. How we fell deeper and deeper in love with every kiss and every smile. How we bought an apartment in the city.  How he took me dancing and out to dinner and was proud of me and what we were. How over a short time of four years, he’s made me happier than I’ve ever thought possible. How waking up to his face is something that I’ll never grow tired of. How he took me on a cruise and proposed when we stopped in the South of France. How I accepted without hesitation and how we couldn’t wait to start our lives together. 

            “Where do you want the wedding to be held, dears? Any dates planed?" Mason’s great aunt asked us as we went around making small talk with everyone. His family was huge and obviously rich, considering the engagement party was held in the beautiful ballroom of a fancy hotel. Chandeliers and candles provided lighting over the women who dressed in long expensive dresses and men in full tuxedoes. Mason wore a black tuxedo with a light blue accent that made him look absolutely stunning and I wore a light blue dress that went to my ankles and dragged a little in the back. Most of the people in attendance belonged to his family, since I wasn’t in contact with mine; but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s obvious that they all support us, for which I’m grateful. 

            “Well, we were thinking of having it back home where we met. Or in France, where I proposed; nothing’s concrete yet, but we’re not too worried, are we, baby?" Mason asks me as he slips an arm around my waist. Even after nearly seven years of knowing him, I still get butterflies from his touch. 

            “Not at all; we don’t really want to rush into things," I reply with a smile. All the women staring at us smile. 

            “And who will be giving you away, Bree?" one of them asks. 

            “Well, actually, I was going to ask my old friend Shane to do it. He helped me through a lot when I was younger; him and Claire. I need to travel back and see them, anyway," I say, and they all nod. We made our way around the large room talking and laughing with his family until we were almost finished.

            “Bree, honey, I need to ask you something really quickly," Vero say with a glint in his eye that I couldn’t ignore.

            “Alright, babe," I say before excusing myself from my conversation with his uncle and grandfather. 

            He leads us out of the ballroom, down a secluded corridor and before I know it, he’s got his lips on mine. I respond instantly and wrap my arms around his neck to bring him closer. He gently pushes me up against the wall and I run my tongue along his bottom lip. Before things can get too carried away, the kiss turns into little pecks and soft kisses. 

            “Sorry," he mumbles against my lips. “You just look so damn amazing in that dress that I couldn’t wait any longer." He kisses my nose and rests his forehead on mine. I feel like the world has stopped. 

            “I love you" I whisper, making him smile. 

            “I suppose I might love you back," he replies cheekily. I flash him a smile. “So, when do you want to go back and ask Shane?" he asks as he twirls the ends of my hair. 

            “I was thinking next Monday; you’re out of town that week for work, anyway and I don’t want to be alone, so I’ll just stay with them. I miss Ollie," I say quietly and kiss his neck softly. 

            “Hmm, I’ll miss you," he whispers. 

            “I’ll miss you more, baby," I say before sucking on his pulse point. He lets out a content sigh. 

            “Hey! That’s where you two ran off to! Can’t you two do that when you’re married? We’ve got guests to entertain!" Mason’s brother shouts from down the hall with a smile playing on his lips. We pull apart and he has a blush spreading across his face. I kiss his cheek softly, lace my fingers with his and we walk back into the ballroom hand in hand.