Chapter Fifteen

I stood in the crowded airport, in a sea of people doing the same thing that I was: waiting. 

            I heard the loud voices of intercoms and people saying hellos and goodbyes. Claire stood beside me and Shane stood on my other with the baby stroller. We were silent, for nerves choked us and made us speechless. 

            “Do you think he’s okay?" I whisper. 

            “Of course! He’s just takin’ his damn time. You know Eric," she says softly, patting my back and flashing me a reassuring smile. 

            Suddenly, a wave of people came out from the terminal; some old, some young. And that’s when I spot him and my heart races. 

            He’s wearing his leather jacket and biker boots, just like the first day I met him. He limps on crutches while he carries a backpack on his back. His eyes are dull and dark circles are under them. His frame looks thinner; frailer, almost. He’s wearing a grey beanie and has the longer half of his hair cascading from under it. He’s pale and I see that he’s struggling to take each step.     Jake’s following behind him, holding Eric’s bags. He’s wearing his usual scowl on his face. He spots us and slightly pushes Eric, causing him to stumble. He grips his upper arm and almost drags him a few paces before Eric regains his balance. Anyone who didn’t know Jake wouldn’t have noticed it, but I did. 

            They made their way over and I bit my lip trying, to calm myself down. I missed him so much it ached. 

            “Hello, everyone," Jake says once we get close enough. Claire’s the first to jump on Eric. Eric hugs her with one hand as the other supports him on his crutches. They pull away and I hear Eric sniffling. Shane gives him a bear hug and he buries his head in his chest. He then looks down to Oliver in the stroller and smiles. 

            “Hey there, buddy," he says with a small smile and I melt. He was still so handsome. 

            He then turns to me and my heart explodes. He won’t even look me in the eye. “Hello, Bree," he says and gives me the quickest hug we’ve ever had. We pull apart and go in to kiss him, but he turns his face. I kiss his cheek and my heart breaks. 

            “Bree, I cannot continue the relationship you and I had prior to me leaving. I’ve been shown that what we were doing was sinful and I don’t want to fall back into that downwards spiral. I’m sorry if this is confusing or hard for you, but I’m afraid I can’t help you. I hope you’ll understand." He finished his little speech without even looking me in the face. 

            “Eric?" I say as my voice cracks and my eyes overflow with tears. 

            He doesn’t answer; he just follows Jake, who leads her out the door, towards his car. He was going to drive Eric to our house and help him get settled back in, but I couldn’t stand to have him around any longer than I needed it. Eric just broke up with me. I spend 14 months of my life waiting for him, isolated from everything, kicked out of my house, lost my friends and family just so he could break up with me without even saying hello? 

            Pain shot through my whole body. I couldn’t breathe, my chest tightened and I felt like I was hollow inside. I didn’t even want to take in oxygen anymore. He muttered the words as if they didn’t just rip my world apart. 

            I felt myself being enveloped by Shane’s huge frame and I fall into his embrace. I cling to him as his leads me out the door to our car. 

            “Don’t you worry, Bree; we’re not going to let anything happen to you. You can stay with us for as long as you want in our house, okay? I don’t know what’s gotten into Eric, but I can bet you anything it has to do with that Jake boy and his damn father," Claire muttered when we were driving home and all I could do was nod silently. My tears wouldn’t stop falling from my eyes and I didn’t want to be here; I didn’t want to be anywhere. 

            How could he forget everything we had? He’s the one who fought for me, wasn’t he? 14 months isn’t that long; no one can erase that kind of love from their brain in such a small amount of time. I was still in love with him-- every bit of him. I waited for so long. 

            I turned to face out the window and I notice it had started to rain. It’s been happening a lot since it’s getting into late November, but soon it’ll turn from rain to snow. I let out a shaky sigh and I wondered if there was any point in even going on.