Chapter Two

I hate Eric Scott. I hate his stupid smirk. I hate the way he snaps his gum. I hate his murky green eyes. I hate the way he dragged his feet around in those stupid shoes. I hate the way his voice gives me shivers and how he doesn’t understand personal space. I hate the disgusting motorcycle that he drives everywhere. I hate his smoky-axe smell. I hate his handwriting. And I really hate how he thinks he’ll ever get into my pants. 

            It’s been a week since I had the ‘pleasure’ of being introduced to him and he hasn’t spoken a word to me since. He just stares. He watches me eat from across the canteen. He watches me when I’m with Jake. He watches me in class. He never stops and I’m about to snap; how rude can one person possibly get? Was he raised by animals? 

            Although we were assigned to ‘stick together’ this week, he just follows me and I simply ignore him completely; at least unless I’m screaming at him to stop staring. He sits alone at lunch and watches me; most other students are either infatuated or scared of him. Some girls even have the guts to try ask him out, but they’re rejected every time. He’s obviously mysterious and can pull off being a loner since he’s so “indie rock" and too cool for friends or a normal mode of transportation, which irritates me more. He’s slowly becoming the talk of the school without talking at all and I know I have to do something soon. 

            Jake and I were walking to class hand in hand and there he was, leaning against the lockers with his leather jacket, ripped jeans and a cigarette tucked behind his ear. And those ugly, god damned black and grey Converse! 

            “You okay baby?" Jake asks beside me. He hasn’t even noticed Eric stalking me since he’s a football meat head. If it doesn’t have to do with pigskin or sex he’s not interested, but that’s just how I like it. I can get away with things and know my personal relationship will be perfectly intact.

            “Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just that that stoner freak keeps staring at me like I’m a piece of meat," I said loud enough for him to hear. He just chuckled to himself, crossed his arms and leaned back onto the lockers.

            God, he’s so irritating. 

            “Who? That new guy? He’s cool. He’s got this secret, mysterious vibe about him. I heard he’s a jock, too," he said with his airhead tone of voice. Sometimes I wonder how I’ve spent so much time with him.

             “JAKE?" I squeal “I don’t like him. You can’t talk about him in front of me!" I stopped walking and he turned to face me.

            “Babe, I’m sorry. You know I don’t mean anything by it." He gave me a smile and I returned it. “He just seems like one of them chill people, you know? I have to go, but I’ll pick you up from cheer practice after training." He kissed my cheek and I mumbled a goodbye before turning to my locker. 

            “Hey, baby."

            I hear a husky voice whisper in my ear and all at once I felt a body press up against mine. I turned around quickly and there he was, green eyes and all. He placed one hand above my head on the lockers and the other one on my hips, completely trapping me. 

            “Do you not understand human nature? Personal space is a basic right you, freak. Get that into your head. And don’t call me ‘baby’ either!" I spit out. He locked his eyes with mine and I felt 2 feet tall. He scanned my face and, after a minute, spoke. 

            “Hmm…You’re not what you seem, Bree."

            The way he said it made me feel like the words would break me. He quickly looked at my lips and then back to my eyes. I raised my eyebrows indicating for him to continue. 

            “I know you’re not really as egotistic as you or the rest of the school believes. I know you always hold the door open for that kid in the wheelchair every morning. I know even though you don’t participate in charity fundraisers, you’ve donated to every one that’s been held this week. I know you ask the lunch lady about her son who’s off in college and her daughter who’s just had a baby. But that’s not all I know." He licked his lips and I felt like I couldn’t breathe. How did he know about all that? 

            “I know you only eat green vegetables and you bite your lip when you’re nervous. I know you’ve got a scar on the underside of you right forearm and that you’re ambidextrous. You’re a book reader, even though you’d like for everyone else to think otherwise. And, I know that you’re not all that happy."

            He was very near my face now. What was he doing? I was enveloped in him; his smell, his words, his hand stroking my hipbone, his eyes, his lips.

            “What are you thinking?" he whispers.

            That snapped me out of it. I mask my face with a scowl again and try to form a proper sentence. “That you’ve got three seconds to get off me or I scream rape so loud even the deaf kid in our history class will hear." He didn’t flinch. He didn’t even move. I continued, “And I’m not available, so you can take your hideous converse, your wavy, brown hair and your little smirk and find some else to stalk." I hope I sounded convincing because inside I was freaking out. No one’s looked that close into my daily life; not ever. My parents were both workaholics and Jake had his head up his ass most of the time. I think he bought me flowers once in hopes that I would sleep with him after his ‘big game’, but he hasn’t even come close. I’m not like that, I mean I have standards. I think a lot of people in this school believe I am like that, at least with Jake but in a way it makes me seem more desirable and experience and who am I to argue with free credibility?

            “I still want you. Normally I’d find a flaw in someone by now, but you seem to have me stuck on you," he whispers into my ear. “There’s something about you…" He placed butterfly kisses along my jaw line and my heart started to race.

            God, no; this is not happening, I hate him. I shut my eyes tight while he moves down to my neck and my knees go weak. He’s so gentle and careful. You’d think he’d have slammed my body against the lockers and stuck his tongue down my throat but he’s being so delicate. I’ve forgotten about where I am; I’m just smothered in him. Eric Scott. He makes his way back up to my ear.

             “I’m going to make you happy, babe. I’ll pick you up later." He kisses me softy on the cheek and he’s gone, down the hall. 

            What the hell just happened?

            I dragged myself through the rest of the school day, completely confused. I didn’t eat anything at lunch, which is a tell-tale sign that something big is on my mind, but of course none of my ‘friends’ noticed. I couldn’t concentrate in class. I only looked forward to the classes I had with Eric, which he didn’t even show up to. I bet he’s snorting crack off the seat of his motorbike in some riddled alleyway right now, while all I can think about is why he’s so intent on messing with me. 

            Jake didn’t notice I was in a haze for the rest of the day. He was too busy flirting with his chemistry partner, Lauren. They had a ‘very important project’ coming up that required them spending every second giggling and whispering to each other. Since I’m his girlfriend, you’d think I would have been jealous; but I really couldn’t care less as long as we stayed together. I’m not even sure there’s ever been a point that I’ve been truly attracted to him; I mean his face is nice and his body is so hot, but there’s no substance to him; it’s like he’s only got air between his ears.

            I just wanted to get today over with, I was sick and tired of being confused by that freak.