Chapter 4

I sat staring at the gold present, resting in my hands. What was I meant to do with it? I was really confused. My thoughts all just kind of blurred together. In a rash decision I went to my room and stuffed the parcel at the back of my closet. I wanted to deal with it later.

But the human brain doesn't work like that. All day the only thing I could think about was the present at the back of the cupboard. That night when I was in bed, I decided to go to Mr & Mrs Waters house in the morning. They might know something about the present and I could announce that I was pregnant. I sighed. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

The next day, I knocked on the door. Inside Augustus' I could here shouting coming from his parents. They were having a very loud argument. Suddenly it went quiet and Mr Waters came to the door. He had very red cheeks and her hair was kind of messy, like he had been running her hands through it.

"Hazel! Come in, come in, dear." he smiled kindly.

There living room was exactly the same as it was months ago. I stared at the couch for a while, where me and Augustus had watched V for Vendetta. That seemed like a lifetime ago.

Mrs Waters was staring at me from across the room. It looked like she hated me.

"I came because I have some news..." I said cautiously. "I'm pregnant."

Augustus' dad smiled broadly. "Oh Hazel that's fantastic!" he said, reaching in to give me a hug.

Augustus' mom stared at me in disgust. She probably thought I was too young. " And you're telling us because...?" she said in a monotone.

What was wrong with her? She was normally so nice.

"I'm telling you because you'll be grandparents. It's Augustus baby," I replied.

Mr Waters stopped smiling. Mrs Waters gasped, then dropped the glass she was holding. It smashed all over the floor. She rushed into the kitchen, holding her face in her hands. Mr Waters sat in a chair and also motioned for me to do so.

"Hazel..." said Augustus' dad quietly. "I need to know. Was this intentional?"

I shook my head and he nodded curtly. A sad smile appeared on his face.

"I think Augustus would of wanted this. He always wanted to have a child. This is the closest thing he can have now." said Mr Waters, a smile playing on his lips, a feature that I was used to only on Augustus.

I remembered the parcel and took it out of my jacket pocket.

"Mr Waters do you have any idea what this is? I found it under my tree yesterday." I asked him.

Mr Waters looked at the parcel carefully and then looked shocked.

"I actually do, Hazel. Augustus left that for you. We gave it to your parents to give to you as we thought that was most appropriate. But you were meant to get it a few days after his death. Augustus firmly said to us that it would help you deal with the pain of losing him..." Mr Waters choked up on his tears.

"What's inside?" I whispered, stroking the gold paper that it was wrapped with.

"No body knows." he replied. "Go home. Open it. I hope it will cheer you up."

As I was leaving, Augustus' dad spoke to me again.

"Oh and Hazel..." he looked down at my stomach and smiled broadly. "I am very happy for you. You and your baby will live a good life. But you will be able to raise the child. You must understand that the reason we are both upset is because Augustus won't be able to share that joy of being a parent with you. I would have loved to of seen him become a father."

I smiled gently at him and walked
towards my car, silently crying. Behind me I could here Mr Waters sniffing.

When I reached my parents house I stormed into the kitchen. They were both standing there talking, but stopped when I walked in.

"What Is this?" I demanded sternly, pointing at the parcel.

My mom gasped in shock but dad just shook his head sadly.

"Where did you find that?!" shrieked Mom.

"Under the tree," I said with a frown.

Mom stared at dad. Her expressions were mixed between shock, sadness and betrayal. Dad nodded his head formally and spoke to mom in a low voice. Mom just stared at him, frowning.

"HURRY UP AND TELL ME FOR GODS SAKE!" I gasped as my lungs were starting to get tired.

Dad spoke. "Well, Hazel dear, Augustus left the for you a few days before he died. It was beautifully wrapped and he said to give it to you. He gave it to his parents who decided to give it to us, to pass on to you."

"We'll why didn't I get it sooner? Augustus died months ago!" I choked out.

"We decided you weren't ready...and then your pregnancy-" he was cut off by me.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU! Augustus' dad said I was meant to get it a few days after he died. And now you give it to me months after!"

"You weren't meant to ever get it" whispered my mom under her breath. I wasn't supposed to her.

"What?" I said quietly, controlling my anger.

Dad scowled at her. "Your mom thought we should never of given you that present. But I disagreed, you should remember Augustus, whatever the price. So one day I hid it under the tree, so you would find it but your mom wouldn't. You needed to get it Hazel."

I scowled at my dad in disgust, for not giving me the present sooner. I stared at Mom in complete hatred. I hated her guts. I hated her. I stormed out of the kitchen while mom burst into tears behind me.

Authors Note: Sorry for not updating sooner, but schools started and it's tough trying to write everyday! If you follow me, you can keep up with my life - like when I'll be posting the next chapter and more information!

Sorry if this chapter is terrible and short but I'm tired and you guys need another chapter. And you still don't know what's in the parcel! Do you guys have any guesses?

So guys if you vote, comment, follow me or private message me then ill love you more then i already do - a few people have already and believe me I know who you are and I love you so much. Thanks for reading, wooh!