90. Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde (edited / re-read new material)

Start from the beginning

Except for him.

I peered over at the spot I had always sat at as a pup and juvenile, the one next to Deacon's. Zaryn had always sat across from me and I would catch myself stealing glances, watching him laugh or chew his food. He would catch me, a sly and knowing smirk pulling up on his lips and he would wink, sending me into a furious blush while everyone remained oblivious.

He had always loved to tease me.

These innocent memories of our childhood - why didn't I just say something to him sooner? Why did I ignore my feelings? Well, he had ignored his own as well but we could have taken out all the bad things that have happened if either of had approached the other.

But I guess that isn't how things work.

Resting my head in my hands, face down, I felt like I just wanted to cry but I just couldn't. I seemed to be all out of tears, as if something was stopping me.

Maybe my pups were looking out for me once again.

I've known Zaryn my whole life. He has always been so lively.. so full of smiles and laughter. The way he has been the past few weeks, it wasnt him and I knew that.

Never once has he ever had anything awful to say to anyone. Not even his worst enemy. He was someone that was respected. Someone other wolves looked up to as their future Alpha.

And now look at him.

Look at us.

Can I fix him? Can he be fixed at all? I cant raise these pups alone. I need my mate. I need him and so do these pups.

Before I could dwell on the issue much longer, I heard the front door creak open and I sat straight up at the table, sniffing the air in alarm.

"Nova! We're here!" Eden's tired voice called from the foyer.

Sighing in relief, my heart sped up as I dashed out of my seat to the foyer to greet both she and Maxim.

Just in time.

The moment I laid eyes on Eden, her beautiful face held a worried expression. She wasn't in her usual diva attire, thats how I know they were rushing.

Her blonde hair was surprisingly up in a high ponytail and she wore a pair of black yoga pants with a black oversized hoodie, which I suspected to be Maxim's. No heels. Just black Nikes. Not a stitch of makeup was on her face, her usually vein self had dismissed the thought of looking stylish for me. To be able to get to me on time.

That's big coming from Eden and It warmed my heart considerably.

"Hey." I feigned a smile as I approached the pair. "thanks for- oof!" Eden had lunged herself at me, wrapping her arms around my back and squeezing firmly, her cheek pressing aganst mine.

"Im so sorry Nova." She whispered, her breath fanning against my neck making me relax only slightly as my gaze flitted to Maxim's tall ominous form. His usual deep frown positioned firmly on his handsom sharp features, crystal eyes trained hard on me.

"Nova. I assume you want to have a... discussion before we head on over to see the damage?" His barritone voice resonated as he rose his brows in question.

My vision became blurry but I didnt cry as Eden let me go. To my surprise, Maxim came to hug me, pulling me into his huge body. His relaxing scent of pine and cinnamon surrounded me, my wolf recognizing him as family. As part of her pack. Not the Cresent Moon pack, but her familial pack.

"Im sorry you are having to deal with this." He murmured lowly as Eden watched with those pity filled green eyes of hers.

Then i remembered something Maxim said..