14. Rules

I glanced in the mirror for the millionth time.

The moon was peeking through my openbedroom window, reflecting in the tall mirror as if to say she sees me. She sees me pain. My shame. My family's anguish and turmoil.

But she lets it happen.

My nausea had subsided for the time being, thankfully my mother gave me one of her little blue pills the packdoctor prescribes for her nerves.

We are all about herbal medicine, us being wolves. But sometimes in the rare cases like my mother, where her anxiety is crippling, we use the human medications. Tonight for which im thankful.

My mind and body felt at ease now. Its as if im just here. Not caring about anything more than the right now, and that happens to be my appearance for the dinner that i have worried over all afternoon.

I gazed at the simple red sundress i wore with my black mary Jane flats and decided i looked okay. We dont tend to dress up in this pack. Only for weddings or funerals or mating ceremonies. A simple sundress was plenty. I didnt feel like caring if i made an impression.. but i wanted to feel pretty tonight.

Maybe it was that pill..

I know it was that pill.

Pulling my wavy hair to the side, i decided i needed a swipe of khol on the top of my lids and a rose stain on my lips. Something different.

"Perfect" my voice came out a bit slow.

Everything felt slow.

A knock on my door jolted me out of my sluggish movements, sending adrenaline through my veins.
"Come in" i sing songed.

Nic poked his head in with furrowed brows.. normally id say he seemed confused.

"Uh. Nova are you alright? Whoa. You look really nice. Its just dinner. Whats with the dress?" His eyes inspected me head to toe, questionably.

Feeling carefree, i waltzed to the door, smiling ear to ear, feeling floaty. "Im great! But whats wrong with the dress? Too much? I just wanted to seem like im fine.. available and fine." I smirked

"Did mom give you one of her pills?" He eyed me accusingly.

I scoffed, feigning some emotion i couldnt really think of right now. "Of course ... she did! Haha!" I couldnt help but to laugh especially with his worried eyes scanning my face as if i would embarass myself tonight . Or him.

I was freaking him out.. time to take this down a notch and be serious. Just because my very existence has been shattered doesn't mean i can forget about it all completely. I took Nic's hand, studying his forrest green eyes with my own serious blue ones.

"Hey nic. Ill be fine. Seriously... i needed this. Ive been throwing up all evening with worry about tonight. And.. i just wanted to look pretty for a change instead of skinny, gaunt, and pale. Is that alright? Besides we have been cast to the other side of the table anyway." I could detect the underlying contempt in my words as could he.

Nic nodded in understanding and pushed the door open so i could see that he was wearing dark denims and a black button up with rolled up sleeves, a grin spread on his handsome face.

"Good. Because i wanted to look nice too and now im glad im not the only one. Its laundry day. Thats my excuse." He chuckled. His laughter was contagious as he brought me into his arms, squeezing tightly.

"Oh little sister. We will be okay. I promise." My eyes caught the moon shining through the window. It seemed as if she were winking at me .. maybe everything would be ok.
Nic gave me a quick peck to my cheek before taking my hand, pulling me with him out the door and down the stairs.