72. United Front

Chapter Soundtrack:
James Young - I'll Be Good

Song selection by RosieToovey

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

Zaryn

"Penelope? What are you doing here?" My eyes looked down on her petite frame incredulously.

My mother, stomach swollen only slightly with her current pregnancy, wandered in my room with a forlorn exoression. "Im still your mother, Zaryn." She rubbed her belly, taking a seat on a chair by the window. "You look so different. So handsome.. so tall and muscular. So much like the Alpha ive always known you could be" she smiled softly, patting her dark hair, up in her infamous chignon.

I just stared at her. I didnt want to do this right now. "Look, I-"

"Zaryn." She pled with her crystal blue eyes. "Please. Talk to me. Im your mother. I gave birth to you. You will always be my pup. Please." She held her hand out.

My gaze turned hard and cold as i strode forward. "I recall the night i won Alpha very well.. the night you disrespected my mate. Said she was a weak wolf and that you were rooting for Grace.. you are no mother of mine." I spat, feeling anger course through me like hot lava.

Her eyes began to blurr, a tear falling down her cheek. "Zaryn im sorry.. i didnt mean those things.. please. I was just.. angry. I didnt want to give up my position. I was scared. I want to be in your life. I don't deserve your forgiveness but please.  Just hear me out?

Sighing in defeat, i brushed past her ignoring her hand and sat on the chair opposite of her. "What do you want Penelope."

She gave me a sad smile. "I see you've finally gotten Nova to come around. She's changed so much.. so much stronger. I watched her grow at Dark Moon.. shes done a lot of changing..  you should be very proud of her."

Narrowing my gaze, "i am proud of her." My chest puffed up in pride over my prized and glorious female.. the only female to accomplish what she has done.

Penelope smiled again, "i know you are. Has she come around? Accepted you?"

I shook my head. "Not quite. I dont know what is going to happen in that area. But i dont wanna talk about that." I started to rise but she latched onto my arm.. tears in her eyes.

"Please just talk to me. Please." She sobbed.

Giving up, i relented.. Leaning back in my seat. "Fine." I huffed.

She smiled sadly, wiping her face. "Im sorry Zaryn. Im sorry for everything i have put you through. For everything i have put your father through. I-"

"Did you ever love him?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

She nodded solemnly. "I did. I still do. We just... grew apart. Our bond wasnt a true mate bond... but i did love him." She paused a moment.. thinking. "When i found out Nyra had died.. i had already met Gabriel.. we loved each other. But I couldnt be with him. He had no title. He was just a low level wolf. My father was a Beta. He expected better of me. So.. i went to Maximus and asked him to help me. Of course he wanted to help me because he didnt believe in the mate bond anyways and he wanted to make sure his family had strong blood ties. So he set up Blake and I's engagement." She had this far away look in her eyes.

"What about Gabriel." I voiced it without thinking what i was doing.. but i had wanted to know some things from her story.

A frown marred her features and her eyes watered even more. "I loved him. I did. I do. But... he wouldn't have brought my family honor. I never told him my plans to leave .. until the day Blake came for me. I left him with a note." She looked down at her lap ashamed.