Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

Turning, he paused as Brooklyn stood there, sobbing. He exchanged a confused look with me.

"Dude, you okay?" he asked and I rolled my eyes.

Obviously not.

"She just broke up with Derek," I murmured as he came closer.

"Ah," he said, look awkward. He walked forward and patted her stiffly on the head. "There, there."

I gave him a deadpan stare. Really?

He shrugged. "Er- I'm going to go play footy with the guys. I'll leave you... to it."

After planting a soft kiss on my cheek, he grabbed his keys and left. I turned and plastered a sympathetic smile on my face.

"Come on, stop crying. It's not going to make anything better," I whispered, reaching out and wiping a tear from her cheek.

"It makes me feel better," she sniffed.

Her cheeks were stained red and her eyes were bloodshot as she stared up at me. I let out a sigh and pulled her towards me, wrapping my arms around her.

"The pain will go away."

"It did for you because you got back with him," she huffed, her voice breaking.

"Well," I said, taking a step back. "It was a different situation. Why did you break up with him?"

It was about time, I wanted to add.

"He's just a douche," she muttered. "All he cares about are the guys, football and spending money. He doesn't care about our future - doesn't even want to acknowledge it. Like hello, school is coming to an end. I want to have a plan."

I nodded as she began to ramble, her words coming out rushed.

"And then I realised, this relationship was just effort. He's draining. He just doesn't think before he does things. I honestly question if he thinks at all sometimes."

Me too, he's an idiot.

She let out a deep exhale. "I just thought to myself, do I see myself with him in the long run? And the answer was no."

"If that's how you feel, it only makes sense to break it off with him. In time, you'll heal and you will look back on this and know you made the right decision."

"Really?" she mumbled, wiping at her eyes.

"I promise." I smiled, giving her hand a squeeze. "Now, let's go and devour that jar of nutella."

She cracked a smile, wiping at her eyes again.

"Okay. That sounds good."

I looped my arm through hers and steered her towards the kitchen.

Finally, my best friend was free. I had been waiting for this moment, for over a year.

***

Xavier's P.O.V:

My phone vibrated against my leg. Projecting the football towards Ryan, I threw it and he caught it easily, taking off down the field. I made a time-out gesture and jogged off, sliding the phone from my pocket.

It was an unknown number.

With a frown, I answered.

"Hello?"

"Xavier," his familiar voice rumbled, making a cold shiver run down my spine. "How are you?"

"Andrew," I spit out, not wanting to greet my step-father with any kindness. "What do you want?"

"I wanted to apologise for ringing Michael and telling on you. I was upset."

"You got me kicked out," I hissed, running a hand through my hair. "Why the hell did you do that?"

"I want you back," he confessed. "I want you to work for me. You know that."

"And you know the answer," I snapped. "No."

"Are you sure about that answer?"

"More sure than I've ever felt about anything."

"Don't you care for your brother?" he question, his tone mocking me.

"Why do you ask that?"

"Your brother has to pick up your slack. There used to be two of you doing the work and now he has to do both jobs, on his own."

"That's his decision."

"He's your twin. I thought you would want to help-"

"For fuck sake," I ground out, my voice twisting into a far more venomous tone. "I want nothing to do with either of you. You're trash. Stay the fuck out of my life, and I'll do the same."

"Xavier-"

I hung up and threw my phone to the ground. Running my hands over my face roughly, I slid to my knees.

No matter how far I run, or how much I pretend I didn't play part in his sick game as a child, I couldn't escape.

I'm a dead man walking.

-------------------

Sorry for the shortness, but it was a filler chapter leading up to something bigger. Any ideas what that could be?

What do you think about Andrew contacting Xavier again? Are things going to escalate?

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed it!

Instagram: laurenj_22
Snapchat: laurenj_22