Chapter 59: Chances

Start from the beginning

"Yes I know what I'm talking about Mako. And if you argue with me again, I will make sure that you won't get out of this Arena alive. Understood?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"One last question."

"Go ahead."

"Why?"

"Because it would be unfair. And the people who are here, are non benders and they will hate us more if we use our bending abilities. They will feel weak again."

Mako simply nodded but I knew that none of them would listen to me. They were just too depending on their bending. And his was a huge disadvantage.

Before I could even react, Korra and Mako were already untying the Airnormads.

"No bending!", I yelled.

But at this situation, it was impossible not to bend.

"Damn it!", I mumbled under my breath, we had no other choice.

Amon's lieutenant was running towards me with his electric glove. I dodged his attack in last second.

What was wrong with me? Why was I that slow?

I looked at him while dodging to find out his weak point to use Suhana's, Ty Lee's daughter and her technique, chi blocking. I succeeded a few times so he was only able to run. His hands were disabled for now. I looked around and noticed that Amon,  Korra, Mako and the last airbenders were gone. Hopefully they were save!
The lieutenant was still trying to attack me.

"Stop it!", I yelled but it was useless, he kept attacking me and succeeded a few times.

"We are not enemies!"

"We are!"

"Why?"

"You benders treat us like garbage! You have to pay for that."

His arms were working again and I was now running down to the corridor.

"Come out, come out Princess! I'm waiting for you!"

"Amon is not the one he pretends to be.", I said calmly, standing behind him. L, how I called him, jumped when he heard my voice. He activated his glove again.

"Hear me out. If you don't believe me, then we can continue."

"Why should I listen to you?"

"Because you are working for the man who is a bender himself."

"Oh really? And you think I'm going to believe you?", he laughed.

"You would be dumb if you didn't.", I continued as calm as possible,"You are aware that I could end you here and now, aren't you?"

"Why don't you do it then?"

"Because I believe in peace. I believe in uniting people. The United Republic was founded to let bender and not bender live together from all nations together in peace. And this man is separating everyone."

"Amon? No! He is fighting for justice!"

"And what am I doing? Do you think I enjoy seeing people fight because of their ethnicity and abilities? No, I'm not. Neither Iroh. So why are you?"

L kept quiet and simply looked at me. I got his whole attention and I could see that he was fighting with himself.

"Didn't you ever wonder how Amon takes away the bending?"

"I doubt that you know it."

"Did you ever?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to know it?"

"Yes."

"Amon is a bloodbender, that's how he manages to take away the bending ability. He is the son of Yakone. His original name is Noatak and he's the brother of Tarrlok."

"Bloodbender?"

"Even if he wasn't. He wouldn't be able to take away bending without his abilities and that makes him stronger again. Stronger than you."

He laughed and suddenly I felt electricity running through my body.

"Did you really think I'm going to believe you Princess?"

My knees couldn't hold my weight and I collapsed to the floor.

"I-I thought you were wiser than your friends. I'm sorry for doing this...I hoped that I would not have to use this.", I said.

I felt my whole energy in my upper body and lightning shot through my fingers in L's direction. This time it was his turn to collapse to the floor.

"Your gloves are not very effective. This is how real lightning feels like.", I said and left without turning around again.

I was furious. I was furious that I gave this man a chance to understand but he rejected.
Suddenly pictures rushed through my mind. It were Amon's. I could suddenly remember what happened years ago. He revealed his abilities to me but I somehow forgot everything.