Chapter 26: Imposter

What you see could be strength that leads to victory
But what you see could be weakness that leads to reversal
And nobody knows
That he is a sovereign in his mask, prevaricating behind the scene
Intoxicating truths with lies

____________________

Alex sighed, holding his anger to not punch him in the face. "You are an asshl bstrd fake friend who sells his best friend only for money, Adrien. You'll pay for it someday."

Adrien's eyes widened, denying the statement. He took a step closer to Alex, seemingly to punch Alex in the face.

"If you can't keep your mouth shut. You'll see your legendary book with her covered by your blood," Adrien spitted, acting really rude.

"You are a psycho. Lou should have never been friends with an imposter like you," Alex pushed him away, hardly.

"Didn't you hear what I say?!" Adrien pushed him back harder, Alex fell.

Alex was on the ground, trying to get up but Adrien followed and punched him in the face. Alex's nose was bleeding.

"Can't you just make it easier until the fckng wedding? I'm sick watching you in Milan for one fckng year," Adrien sighed, his right foot kicking the small rock nearby. "Goddammit!"

Alex sighed heavily. He tried to calm himself down, he totally had no idea about the real details of Adrien's motive since Adrien never brought anything up to him and only showed up four days before he had gone to Paris. Adrien came over to Alex's place, pretending to be a repairman for the dishwasher so he could get in the house safely. Alex was alone in the house, watching movies. When he was laughing, his hair was pulled behind, making his head pointed upwards. He saw the repairman, Adrien holding up the knife to his neck, it felt dangerously cold.

"You must be, Alex William Laurent. The man in white collar, the man with the Tempest Book, the man she always writes in her journal. Stay away from Lou, or I will kill her like your mom's death."

The background of his mom's death was nothing major but related to parks. She liked parks so much. She used to read books at parks like Alex always did. One day in the summer afternoon in the lake nearby of Giardino Valentino Bompiani, she was reading The Tempest book. While she was having fun reading the book, there was a man coming and wanting to steal her purse. He forced her to give the purse but she kept on denying and tried to fight back by screaming for help. The burglar got mad and panicked, he shot her in the chest. So much blood came out from her chest. The burglar got more panicked and decided to drag and drown her in the lake nearby, assuming he wouldn't leave any traces. He ran away but he forgot that bodies will float in water. This case was investigated and the burglar was caught with the background of poor economy. And that was the reason why Alex always read the same old book at parks because he wanted to feel the presence of his mother and that was how to make him felt alive. No one knew about the detail of his mother's death except Paul because Paul was the only friend he was really close to. Therefore, when Adrien brought up about his mom's death, Alex quickly realized that it had something with Paul. Adrien must have done it based on Paul's request, his obsession towards Lou.

Alex was in his hostage taking. He was tied in the chair and his mouth was sealed with duct tape. Adrien asked him to set up a scene of him giving a confession and leaving her for good. He wanted to make everything seemingly real so Lou can believe it and stop expecting for Alex. The investigation idea until the investigation trip were actually traps that had been set up by Paul to drag Lou into the tragedy of Milan, to force Alex in confessing and leaving her because Paul had the evidences of her having feelings towards Alex from her journal that he secretly read and her weird behavior when the subject of Alex came up. Paul felt threatened and asked for Adrien's help. Paul offered Adrien three hundred thousand dollars to do that job. Adrien accepted the offer since he got promoted to take over the coffee shop but as the months went by it almost shut down because he had no money to pay the employees. To get rid of the crisis, Adrien accepted the offer and had to betray Lou for the sake of money.

Alex wiped the blood from his nose. He acted calmer than before, "Are you really doing this?"

Adrien stroked his hair back and forth, looking stressed out. He knelt and sat on the ground across Alex, sighing heavily. "Lou is a sweetheart," said Adrien, glancing at Alex. "I feel bad for doing this to her but I really need the money. Paul is a smart scheming asshl. He knows how to use me because I'm the only person who knows about you and definitely Lou trusts. But I'm taking her trust for granted."

"There must be another way out," Alex encouraged, raising his right eyebrow. "And yeah, she is wonderful. If you heard what I told to her regarding my confession, that was all real. Even the scene you wanted me to do, that was real too. I thought like I would do that too if I didn't know about Paul's ulterior character,"

"Unless you want to pay me for thirty thousand dollars cash, I will consider that as another way out," Adrien teased. "I don't like Paul but I like his money. He's a rich asshl. Don't think by having this kind of talk, I will let go of you and chase Lou though I know you two love each other."

______________