Chapter 2: Beyond the Breakup

The wind blows his hair away as he walks
The fog condenses his glasses as he breathes
The sparks assault as he smiles

And I wonder what that means

Early August in Paris

It was a month after her breakup. Lou found herself inside her bedroom, staring at the ceiling waiting for wisdom, thinking about Paul as she realized that they were not something but nothing anymore.

"It was my fault. I should have not let him go," said Lou talking to herself. "It was my ego."

Lou wanted to contact Paul again but she already felt bad with herself. She realized that she was being a hypocrite towards a man whom she loved.

But it was love.
Not a sparkling love.

Lou had been with Paul for two years but she never felt butterflies flying out of her stomach. She knew that she was loved but she knew that she didn't get the feeling.

Lou got out of her bed and packed her things. She would have a flight to Massachusetts at 4 in the afternoon. Later after that, somebody knocked the door of her apartment.

"You look so messed-up, girl."

It was Mikaela. Lou found her falling from the stairs near her class in college embarrassingly. When all the students laughed at Mikaela, Lou defended her and cheered her up. Mikaela was a new Italian student and from that moment, they became best friends.

"Never mind, I'm going to bath," answered Lou as she let Mikaela in and closed the door. "I have pizza in the kitchen, you can eat it."

"You always know how to make me happy," said Mikaela opening the pizza box.

After Lou had taken a bath, she walked into her room with Mikaela following behind. She opened the wardrobe but Mikaela tucked herself in the blanket eating pizza.

"How are you with Paul? Did he contact you?" asked Mikaela with pizza in her mouth.

"Nope. I don't expect him to either." said Lou as she took out of her white shirt from the hanger. 

"Well, I do but however I felt like I never got the feeling with him."

"Then why would you waste two years with Paul if you don't have the feelings?" accused Mikaela.

Lou sat on the bed with white towel wrapped around her thin body as she massaged her body with lotion.

"I don't want to hurt him. He's perfect but, I never had the feeling with him," answered Lou.
"Well, nobody would leave Paul except you." said Mikaela.

After Lou had got herself ready, she moved three suitcases out of her apartment to Mikaela's car. Mikaela drove her to the airport. Later after that, they arrived and decided to have some coffee at Starbucks.

"Are you going for summer school to get over Paul? Be honest." asked Mikaela as she played with her car key waiting for the barista to call her name.

"That's one of the reasons but I have planned this earlier," Lou locked her phone and stared at her. "I want to know who I really am. I don't understand with myself."

"You will find the sparkling love," answered Mikaela. "You will."

The clock had pointed at 4, Lou hugged Mikaela tightly and waved her goodbye. Lou walked with a cup of café latte on her hand as Mikaela waving at her until Lou couldn't be seen.

She entered the plane and found her seat. Lou suited herself and turned her phone into the airplane mode. The plane was about to take off and the pilot gave that general announcement regarding the flight. She stared at the window as the sun flashed her brown eyes realizing that she was on her way to something new.