Chapter 4: White Collar

Breaking my back in the heart of this land
Searching for reasons why I am staying in this land
Floating myself away in the gap of Greylock
Burying the guilt that I have brought from Montmartre

Late August in Cambridge

It had been a month for Lou having her summer school in Harvard. She got close to Adrien and occasionally, she visited his college in Boston where Adrien studied. They had made a good friendship where Lou could spill out anything that popped up on her mind openly.

Once in a while, Lou went to the library to get some references for her Poetry Writing course by Mr. Burt. She looked up at the bookshelves carefully looking for beautifully written poems by popular poets. As she looked upon the letter of W, she found a book named "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare. It suddenly reminded her of a man whom she saw in the Arnold Arboretum a month ago. She took the book out of its shelves and put it on her arm along the other book of poet that she had taken before. She turned and walked to left approaching the long table with 6 seats on left side. Lou pulled out the second seat from the left side and put the books on the table carefully. The books that she took were quiet old, thus she needed to be careful with them.

She sat and took a book of Shakespeare. Lou looked around the cover as she turned her head to front, she noticed a man in white collar sitting with his 6 other friends in the third table that she was sitting on. He stroked his curly brown hair with his left hand while the other hand turned the other page of the book that he was reading. Lou seemed recognizing the look that the man was doing. While Lou was staring at that man, he turned his head to front where he directly saw Lou. Lou tried to look away but she couldn't hide her panic look. She pretended to read the book as if nothing happened though her peripheral vision still tried its hardest to see who that man actually was. Lou covered up her face with The Tempest book of Shakespeare and tried to see him in a good sight. While Lou was trying her best to see his face, that man was staring at Lou already with his forehead scrunched.

"That man," said Lou with lower tone looking down the table. "The man in Arnold Arboretum."

Lou realized that the man in white collar was still staring at her. He also wore the same shirt as he wore in the Arnold Arboretum. Lou tried to make herself busy by reading the books that she had taken and focusing on the purpose of why she went to the library which is accomplishing the assignment from Mr. Burt.

After 30 minutes of reading, Lou felt the bunch of people who were with the man in white collar were about to leave the library. She realized that the exit was behind her where that man had to pass her by, thus he could leave the library. His friends started passing by but the man in white collar was still busy putting in the books that he brought. Until then, Lou realized that he was about to pass her by but she still tried her best to not see his face. She covered up her face with the Shakespeare book for a few seconds and put it down. She turned her head to right and saw him standing next to her table with his head bowed for a few inches.

"The Tempest is one of Shakespeare's most lyrical plays," said the man in white collar pointing at the book. "You should read that until the end."

"Oh, this book?" answered Lou lifting up the book. "Of course, I will."

The man in white collar just nodded at Lou as he blinked his eyes slowly and walked away. Lou turned her head following the man walking away in the opposite direction. She surprisingly gawked at him and turned her head back to the book, "Am I dreaming?"