Chapter 7: Knowing

His dashing shoulder stands up against the words

The words that fall from his own mouth

Jangling in the silence of the solemn night

Whispering some sacred words and he said,

Le Fleur Noire in the L'Éternel Été

The man turned his head around and found Lou was standing and staring at him.

It was him. It was him again. The man in white collar.

"I found you," said the man as he closed the book and stood. "I knew you would be here."

The man walked approaching Lou slowly. He looked down as he then stood exactly in front of her. Lou could see his brown eyes flashed by the light of the sun. This moment reminded Lou of her breaking up with Paul in the days before she was going to Massachusetts.

It is Arnold Arboretum, not Luxembourg. It is brown, not blue.

"I wanted to apologize about yesterday," said the man as he stared at Lou. "I felt bad. You've helped me but I didn't fully appreciate you."

"You don't have to apologize," answered Lou instantly but he suddenly added, "May I finish my sentence?"

"I didn't try to converse in the taxi, you paid the taxi and I also didn't have the urge to walk you home. I felt messed up that time," explained the man as he looked down. "And now I'd like to know more about the kind person that I met yesterday. I'd like to know more about you. Are you free tonight?"

Lou tried to look away but turning her head to left and looked back at him again. She bit her lips and looked down. Lou realized that she was doing strange things that she didn't need to do.

"It'd be a pleasure to me," answered Lou with smile.

"I'll see you in Congress Street at 7." He eventually moved his thin lips and smiled.

He left the tree and walked away. Lou sat down and froze with the moment. She smiled and couldn't believe to what just happened to her.

***

Lou stared at the mirror. She saw herself wearing a blue navy dress, not so far like Hazel Grace wears for her date with Augustus Waters in Oranje. She wore a pair of black flat shoes with knot tied around her half of calf like ballerina. Lou let her brown hair fall as it should. She went out of her house and stopped a cab.

It was almost dark in Congress, Lou got out of the cab and looked around. She saw a man standing with grey shirt and black slacks staring at her across the street. Lou crossed the street as she saw ample of couples crossing over zebra cross. The man walked approaching Lou as she walked towards him. He offered his right hand to Lou and she reached it. Their eyes met in that moment, words hadn't been spilled out yet but the sincere smile of them had been shared in that solemn night. It was the first time for Lou to see him sincerely grinning at her, that moment was very alluring as if she was reborn from her break up with Paul.

"Where are you going to take me?" asked Lou curiously.

"This place," answered him as he turned his head to back. "This is the best restaurant in Massachusetts. Shall we come in?"

Lou smiled and she could feel his hands holding hers that night. He escorted Lou to the entrance of the restaurant and the receptionist welcomed them warmly that night. As they walked in the restaurant, Lou noticed a saxophonist and a well-dressed lady singing The Look of Love in a version of Chris Botti. The waitress led them to a table for two near the window giving a view of the Congress Street. He pulled a seat for her and she sat on it.

"I've ordered your food if you don't mind," said him as he adjusted his seat. "Mila, you may serve the foods for us now." added him to the waitress and she nodded with smile.

"Oh, wonderful. Thanks." Lou smiled as she stared at him.

He smiled and put his both hands on the table, "So, are you studying in Harvard too?"

"I'm just having summer school here. What about you?" answered Lou as she realized that this moment could be just temporary to her.

"I'm taking up Environmental Science and Public Policy. I also have a high concern in international studies, especially the global issues indeed," answered him enthusiastically. "But, if I didn't mishear, summer school?"

"Yes, I'm studying in Strasbourg taking up Fine Arts but also interested in literature, that's why I'm focusing on literature course for this summer school."

"Strasbourg in France?" asked him as he put his palm hand on his chin. "I have a friend there."

"What is your friend's name? Perhaps I know."

"I even haven't known the name of the woman I'm talking to right now," answered him as he smiled. "What is your name?"

"My name is Lou, what is yours?" answered Lou as she offered her right hand asking for shake-hand.

He laughed and reached her hand, "I am.."

Suddenly the waitress came serving the foods. They brought them butter soup for appetizer. "Here's the appetizer, sir. Enjoy your meal," said the waitress warmly and walked away.