Chapter 2

"Amberlin, why are you being so stubborn?" Sashay sighed, exasperated. I just shook my head and smiled.

"You know I don't do school dances. Plus dress shopping is expensive and stressful," I looked at my light brunette friend and shrugged my shoulders, for it seemed like we had had this conversation before. (Trust me, we had.) I glanced over at my other friend for some backup. She had the same look on her face as Sashay.

"Come on! It'll be fun," Cheri wiggled her eyebrows, as they bother stared me down like hawks, "There might even be some cute guys!" I groaned and they both giggled. They knew they got me.

"I almost thought I'd have to grab your key," Sashay said, gathering up our trash from lunch and I shot her a look. She covered her mouth and looked around with big eyes, searching for anyone who had heard that comment. Of course, no one heard it; we were sitting in the far corner of the cafeteria. We thought it was perfect with the sun streaming through the huge glass window and the cleanliness of the table and corner. Since we were the only ones who were nice to the lunch ladies, they cleaned our corner for us every day. No one but us sat there; the girls said they couldn't see their make-up in their compacts because of the light, and because the girls didn't sit there, neither did the guys. So we had the area to ourselves.

Sashay and Cheri were the only two other people who knew I was a "Key'd". That's what they call us who are born without the key attached to their heart. The only reason I didn't show it off the world is for two big reasons: 1) I don't like the spot light, and 2) Anyone who holds my key can make me do anything, and if I refuse, I die. Yep, there's my life in a nutshell.