Chapter 35

Reanski dragged me away from the room as I hung my head low. I hadn't planned on killing anyone, but Nerospi's words rung in my head.

You must do as she says.

I didn't want to do as she said, but I knew I was supposed to stay alive or many others would be at risk. I held in a big sigh and raised my head slightly when we blew past the room I was staying in. I pulled against her grip to remind her, but she jerked me forward and I while stumbled, she exclaimed, "You aren't staying in there anymore." Hanile kicked my behind when I tried to stand up, but all he succeeded in doing was making me fall over again, bringing Reanski down with me. I landed on top of her, and as Hanile looked inexplicably terrified while Reanski removed her attention from me to yell at Hanile, and I seized my chance to escape, but not before seeing the necklace that held my key laying on the floor.

I pushed myself off the floor with my key held tightly in my hand and ran in the opposite direction just taking turns to get myself away. Not long after I heard the screech of Reanski.

"GET HER!"

I heard boots beginning to clomp down the hallways, but with the echoing, I couldn't tell where they were coming from. I found a window and took a pause to look outside. I was on the third floor of what I had assumed was a house surrounded by a lake. I could see a shore in the distance, but from what I knew of these people, there was probably bombs hidden within the water. Then I remembered the flying I had done with Calimo, and I pushed open the window. I stood on the ledge as Reanski's minions, led by the woman herself, appeared around the corner. She fished for her necklace which had held my key on it, before horror overtook her features as I waved it at her and jumped out the window. I willed myself to use the air around me to fly, as Reanski leaned as far as she could out the window with Hanile hanging onto her dress. She screamed profanities at me as I quickly flew across the lake, holding my key to my heart, happy the dull pain had disappeared. I landed on the other side and hid just inside the tree-line as I formulated a plan to get my Calimo back.

Night had fallen many hours ago, and still I waited. For once, I wasn't in too much of a hurry, knowing Reanski wouldn't do anything to Calimo under Kailas's watch. At least, I hoped.

"Hey Amberlin," I heard Raliki's voice before he appeared from behind a tree. I smiled, glad my message had reached him. Iolis stepped in from behind him and I quickly frowned.

"I asked for you only, Raliki," I said sternly then looked at Iolis, "I don't want you getting hurt."

She snorted before stepping confidently up to me, looking up at me with ferocity, "Don't think just because I'm small, I cannot hold my own. Plus, I do have magic, and am more trained than you." She didn't say the last part rudely, more as if she was stating a fact, which in this case, she was. I nodded and turned back to Raliki, asking if he had brought what I asked for. He produced a pistol akin to the one I had trained with in my dream, and I hoped I wouldn't have to use it fatally, or use it at all.

Let's test it. I quickly disassembled the gun and reassembled it, loaded it and shot it at a tree in front of me, hitting it dead center.

Raliki let out a whistle, "Where did you learn that?"

"In my dreams," I winked and grabbed both of their hands. "Come on, let's go get my fiancé."

I flew into the air with Raliki and Iolis and headed to the island once again. Luckily, I knew what window to approach, since I had been watching the house for so long. It had a balcony, where the three of us landed lightly on it. I put a finger over my lips, like they hadn't known to be quiet, and peering through the glass doors to see Calimo lying in his bed. I smiled in spite of myself, but scowled when I realized Kailas was lying next to him, tightly wrapped in his arms.