Chapter 28: Back To Normal

Kirk stood tall and proud on the podium, addressing the crowd before him. Spock sat to my left, and the rest of the crew sat to my left. I wore my uniform proudly, watching as four jets flew overhead and seven officers folding the Starfleet flag.

 "There will always be those who mean to do us harm," Kirk started. "To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves. Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that's not who we are. We are here today to rechristen the U.S.S. Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives nearly one year ago. When Christopher Pike first gave me his ship he had me recite the Captain's Oath, words I didn't appreciate at the time. Now I see them as a call for us to remember who we once were, and who we must be again. And those words?

Space, the final frontier.                 These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.                                                      Her five-year mission, to explore strange new worlds,                                   To seek out new life and new civilizations,                                                 To boldly go where no one has gone before."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I looked up to see Kirk walk onto the bridge.

 "Captain on zhe bridge!" Chekov exclaimed happily.

 He smiled as he looked around the room, seeing the people he truly loved. He let his smile fall to a smirk when he saw Sulu in the Captain's chair.

 "It's hard to get out of it once you've had a taste, isn't that right, Mr. Sulu?" He said as he walked over to him.

 "'Captain' does have a nice ring to it," Sulu said. "Chair's all yours, sir."

 Kirk smiled and hit the comm. "Mr. Scott. How's our core?"

 I heard Scotty's voice over the comm. "Purring like a kitten, Captain.  She's ready for a long journey."

 "Excellent," Kirk said. He walked over to Bones, who stood with a frown on his face. "Come on, Bones! It's gonna be fun!" Kirk said as he slapped both of Bones' shoulders.

 "Five years in space. God help me." Bones mumbled.

 Kirk walked over to Carol. "Dr. Marcus. I'm glad you could be apart of the family," he said with a smile.

 "It's nice to have a family," Carol replied, smiling up at him.

 Kirk walked back to his chair and stood in front of it. "Spock."

 Spock turned away from his panel with a smirk. "Captain."

 He walked over to Kirk and stood beside him, looking out into space.

 "Where shall we go?" Kirk asked.

 I stood from my seat and walked over to them.

 "As a mission of this duration has never been attempted," Spock said, pausing to look down at me when I wrapped my arms around him. He turned to Kirk with a half-smile and said, "I defer to your good judgement, Captain."

 Spock nodded and walked away, with me still clinging onto him. He sat down and pulled me onto his lap, cradling me and leaning his head on my shoulder.

 "Mr. Sulu, take us out," Kirk ordered.

 "Aye, Captain," Sulu responded.

 And with that, the Enterprise warped off into space, knowing there would be great adventures ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~END~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~