Chapter 19: "I'm Not Aligning With Him, I'm Using Him."

"You're on that ship!" Kirk yelled, grinning from ear to ear.

 "I snuck on," Scotty said in a whisper. "And seeing as I've just committed an act of treason against a Starfleet admiral, I'd really like to get off this bloody ship. Now beam me out!"

 "You're a miracle worker. We're a little low on power right now. Just stand by. Stand by," Kirk said, relief coming over him.

 "What do you mean "low on power"? What happened to the Enterprise?" Scotty said with surprise in his voice. "Call you back," he said while hanging up suddenly.

 "Scotty!" Kirk called out. He turned towards me and Spock. "Spock. Our ship, how is she?"

 Spock gently let go of my arm and marched over to Kirk. "Our options are limited, Captain. We cannot fire and we cannot flee."

 Kirk nodded his head. "There is one option. Uhura, when you get Scotty back, patch him through."

 "Yes, sir," Uhura said, giving me a sideways glance.

 "Mr. Spock, you have the conn," Kirk said while walking towards the turbo lift. Spock and I followed closely behind him.

 "Captain, I strongly object," Spock stated as soon as we entered the turbo lift.

 "To what? I haven't said anything yet," Kirk mumbled.

 Spock drew in a breath. Oh boy, here we go.

 "Since we cannot take the ship from the outside, the only way we can take it is from within. And as a large boarding party would be detected, it is optimal for you to take as few members of the crew as possible. You will meet resistance, requiring personnel with advanced combat abilities and innate knowledge of that ship. This indicates that you plan to align with Khan, the very man we were sent here to destroy," Spock said.

 We were already halfway to the med bay. Spock was talking that whole time.

 "I'm not aligning with him, I'm using him. 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend'," Kirk said.

 "An Arabic proverb attributed to a prince who was betrayed and decapitated by his own subjects," Spock pointed out.

 "Still, it's a hell of a quote," Kirk grumbled.

 "I will go with you, Captain," Spock said.

 "No, I need you on the bridge," Kirk said in a louder voice.

 "I cannot allow you to do this," Spock said, roughly grabbing Kirk's shoulder to turn him around. I slammed to a stop beside Spock. "It is my function aboard this ship to advise you in making the wisest decisions possible, something I firmly believe you are incapable of doing in this moment!"

 "You're right!" Kirk yelled suddenly, looking Spock straight in the eyes. "What I'm about to do, it doesn't make sense, it's not logical. It is a gut feeling!" Kirk said as Spock tilted his head. "I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do. The Enterprise and her crew needs someone in that chair that knows what he's doing," Kirk said, about to break into tears. There was a slight pause. "And it's not me. It's you, Spock."

 Spock just stared at his captain as he walked away. Tears were forming in my own eyes. We stood there for a solid 15 seconds, Spock just staring down the hall and I wiping my tears as they fell. I looked up at Spock and tugged on his sleeve like a child. He blinked and looked down at me.

 "Come on," I whimpered. "We need to go."

 Spock gave one last glance down the hall, then grabbed my hand and walked to the bridge. The doors slid open on the turbo lift and I scrambled over to my seat. I was incredibly nervous about what was happening, but it might be crazy enough to work.

 Kirk had a knack for these things.