Chapter 10: Resignation

As the shuttle zoomed through space, there was an awkward silence the entire ride. No one said a word. I just stared out my window, longing to see the hull of the only home I really knew. And it finally came. 'U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701' came into full view. It was magnificent. It was home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I walked in the small group that was marching through Engineering. I could hear Scotty shouting at a deliver guy of sorts.

 "No! I'm not signing anything!" Scotty yelled. "Now get these bloody things off my ship!"

 We walked up to him.

 "Captain!" Scotty exclaimed.

 "Is there a problem, Mr. Scott?" Kirk asked.

 "Aye, sir. I was just explaining to this gentleman that I cannae authorize any weapons on board this ship without knowing what's inside them," Scotty explained while motioning towards the new photon torpedoes that Admiral Marcus gave us.

 "Mr. Scott raises yet another point-," Spock said before Kirk turned towards him.

 "Report to the bridge," Kirk said quickly while handing Spock a Padd.

 Spock took it. "Captain," he mumbled while walking away.

 Kirk turned back towards Scotty. "Mr. Scott, I understand your concerns, but we need these torpedoes on board."

 "Due respect, sir, but photon torpedoes run on fuel," Scotty explained. "Now I cannae detect the type of fuel that's in the compartments because it's shielded. Now, I asked for the specifications, but he said...," he pointed behind him at the delivery guy.

 "It's classified," the delivery guy said.

 "It's classified," Scotty repeated. "So I said, "No specs, no signature!"'

 "Captain," Mr Sulu said. We all looked up on the walkway above us. "Flight check's complete. We're good to go, sir."

 "Thank you, Mr. Sulu," Kirk said in an overly-enthused voice.

 "Yes, sir," Sulu said.

 "Now if you'll excuse me, sir, I have a warp core to prime," Scotty said. As Scotty turned around, he saw his little friend Keenser on one of the torpedoes. "Get down!"

 Bones walked up to Kirk. "Jim, your vitals are way off...," he said before Kirk interrupted him

 "Report to med bay," Kirk said in a hush tone.

He looked at me and nodded. I took the hint and went off to the bridge.

 As I walked through the halls, I stared down at my Padd, trying to make sure everything was good to go. I accidentally bumped into someone. I looked up and saw a blue shirt. I searched for the face. Spock.

 "Oh. Hi Spock," I said brushing my shirt off. "I apologize for running into you, I didn't see where I was going."

 He folding his hands behind his back. "Apology accepted. We are almost ready for take off, so I suggest you get into your appropriate attire," he said very formally.

 "Okay... are you feeling alright?" I asked.

 "I have not fallen ill. I am well," he said.

 "No I mean... yeah. Okay," I said, deciding to just give it up.

 I turned around to see a sad Scotty slouching down the hallway. I walked up to him and placed my hands on his shoulders.

 "Hey, you alright?" I said, consciously aware of Spock staring at us.

 "Yes. I was just leaving," Scotty said in a low tone.

 "Leaving?? What! Why?"

 "I resigned."

 "B-but, Scotty! Why have you resigned?"

 "The Captain forced me too." He suddenly got very close to my face. "Penny, for the love of God, do not let him use those torpedoes."

 I just stared at him. My mind was frozen for a moment. I was unsure on what to say, so I just nodded. He nodded back and gave me a quick hug.  He then nodded to Spock and just scurried off, with Keenser on his heels.

 I looked up at Spock and he had a confused expression on his face. I'm sure my expression wasn't too far from his.

 Boy, Jim is really messing up.