Chapter 17: CAROL!

As we warped through space, I sighed and leaned back against my chair. I stared down at my legs, thinking about all that has happened. I felt that similar pair of eyes burning into me, and I looked up to see Spock staring at me. He must have known what I was thinking, because he slowly walked up to me and whispered, "It is not your fault."

 My bottom lip trembled as I looked away. I saw Uhura glaring at me with her eyes. I turned and was about to say something to her when Carol ran through the doors.

 "Permission to come on the bridge," she said, obviously out of breath.

 "Dr. Marcus," Kirk greeted as he stood up.

 "He's gonna catch up to us, and when he does, the only thing that's gonna stop him from destroying this ship is me, so you have to let me talk to him," she said very quickly.

 Kirk shook his head. "Carol, we're at warp. He can't catch up with us."

 "Yes, he can. He's been developing a ship that has advanced warp capabilities-"

 "Captain! I'm getting a reading I don't understand," Sulu said.

 Suddenly, everything jolted. I flew to my left, straight into Spock's lap. He grasped onto his console, trying to stabilize both himself and I. The bumps kept coming, nonstop. Finally, there was a large thrust and everything was calm. I looked out the window to see nothing but space. We were out of warp.

 Kirk stood up, panting heavily and sweating profusely. "Where are we?"

 "We're 237,000 kilometers from Earth," Sulu said quickly.

 "Damage report!" Kirk ordered.

 -"Weapons are down."

-"Shields are dropping"

 -"We're defenseless, sir."

 -"Sir, we have a bulkhead breach."

 Everyone was talking all at once. My head was spinning, alarms were blaring, voices were speaking, it was complete chaos. I started to do my famous "freezing up" when I felt a hand on my back. I looked to see that I was still in Spock's lap. His eyes were sharp, looking at me with all the reassurance he had. Somehow that did it. I "unfroze" and practically leaped over to my seat.

 More shots rang out, and I was jolted forwards, slamming my forehead against my panel. I checked to see if there was blood, but there was none. I would have a bruise there, for sure.

 "Evasive maneuvers! Get us to Earth! RIGHT NOW!" Kirk yelled.

 Carol walked up to him and grabbed him. "Captain! Stop! Everybody on this ship is going to die if you don't let me speak to him."

 Kirk panted and turned towards Uhura. "Uhura, hail him."

 Carol whirled around and looked at the screen. "Sir. It's me. It's Carol."

 The shots immediately stopped. Marcus's face appeared on the screen.

 "What are you doing on that ship?" Marcus said, his voice shaky and eyes wide.

 "I heard what you said. That you made a mistake and now you're doing everything you can to fix it. But, Dad, I don't believe that the man who raised me is capable of destroying a ship full of innocent people. And, if I'm wrong about that, then you're gonna have to do it with me on board," Carol said, tears falling from her face.

 Marcus was silent for a second. A second. "Actually, Carol, I won't."

 Suddenly, lights started forming around Carol. She whirled around to face Kirk.

 "Jim...?" She said in a fear stricken voice.

 "Can we intercept the transport signal?" Kirk said.

 -"No, sir."

 Carol screamed and ran towards the door.

 "CAROL!" Kirk yelled.

 And with that, she was gone.