Chapter 22: Negotiations

We all sat their on the bridge, fidgeting in our seats. We have had no word back from the captain. The possibility that this plan would work out was very low, considering the facts. They were on a massive ship with Khan, Admiral Marcus, the whole enemy crew, Khan, with just them three versus who knows how many, Khan, Khan, KHAN. Kirk and Scotty were alone with Khan. After what we had just heard, it is no wonder why we are all so nervous.

 As time went on, I could see Spock to start shifting in his seat. I could sense the nervousness from him. It was pretty obvious that he was worried about Jim. Eventually, he couldn't take it anymore. He shot out of his seat and marched over to Mr. Sulu.

 "Where is the Captain, Mr. Sulu?" Spock asked with anticipation growing in his voice.

 Sulu shook his head and looked down at his panel. "Our senor array's down, sir. I can't find him."

 And just then, as if on cue, the screen lit up. We heard Kirk make a painful groan and looked up to see Khan holding Kirk, a phaser to the back of his head. Kirk had cuts all over his face. I could tell he was in great pain. I gasped and put my hands over my mouth.

  "I am going to make this very simple for you," Khan stated.

"Captain," Spock exclaimed with concern in his voice.

 "Your crew, for my crew," Khan said.

 "You betrayed us," Spock growled as he stepped closer.

 "Oh, you are smart, Mr. Spock," Khan sneered.

  Kirk made a painful attempt to speak. "Spock, don't- AAGH."

 Kirk hit the floor with a painful "thud". Spock stepped forwards, wanting to kill the man who just hit his captain to the ground. I flinched and closed my eyes.

 "Mr. Spock, give me my crew," Khan demanded.

 "And what will you do when you get them?" Spock asked quickly.

 "Continue the work we were doing before we were banished."

 "Which, as I understand it, involves the mass genocide of any being you find to be less than superior."

 "Shall I destroy you, Mr Spock? Or will you give me what I want?"

  Spock stood silently for a moment, thinking of what to say next. It was as if we were watching a game of chess, both players moving pawns back and forth.

 Finally, Spock spoke. "We have no transporter capabilities."

 "Fortunately, mine are perfectly functional. Drop your shields," Khan warned.

 "If I do so, I have no guarantee that you will not destroy the Enterprise."

 "Well, let's play this out logically then, Mr. Spock. Firstly I will kill your Captain to demonstrate my resolve. Then if yours holds, I will have no choice but to destroy you and your entire crew," Khan said with a wicked smile.

 Spock didn't flinch. "If you destroy our ship, you will also destroy your own people."

 "Your crew requires oxygen to survive, mine does not. I will target your life support systems located behind the aft nacelle. And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people," Khan said. He paused and blinked. "Now, shall we begin?"

 Spock was silently glaring at the screen. It was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. Suddenly he looked back.

 "Lower shields," he commanded in a soft voice. He slowly looked back up at the screen.

 "A wise choice, Mr. Spock," Khan said. He jerked his leg, only to be met with a horrible cracking sound and Kirk's muffled cry. Then Kirk went into a coughing fit.

 I widened my eyes and took a step forwards. "Spock," I mumbled. He turned to look back at me. "I don't know what you think you are doing, but-"

 "I see your 72 torpedoes are still in their tubes. If they are not mine, Commander, I will know it," Khan said in a harsh voice.

 Spock turned back and glared at the screen through his eyelashes. "Vulcans do not lie. The torpedoes are yours."

 It was silent for a few moments longer, but Khan spoke up once again. "Thank you, Mr. Spock," he breathed out.

 "I have fulfilled your terms. Now fulfill mine," Spock said in a commanding voice.

 "Well, Kirk," Khan said, "It seems apt to return you to your crew. After all, no ship should go down without her captain."