Chapter 6: John Harrison

A few hours after becoming a commander, I was sitting in my new office, packing things into the cupboards and what not. Just then my communicator starting going off. I grabbed the small device and looked on the small screen. "Emergency session, Daystrom...," I said out loud. I got up from my chair and grabbed my hat. Looks like my first day as Commander is going to be a busy one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I went up the elevator, my head was pounding with thoughts. What was the meeting about? What was I supposed to do? How many people are going to be in this meeting? The doors quickly pulled open and I stepped out to see Kirk and Spock engaged in conversation. I stood off to the side and listened carefully, pretending to check my Padd so that no one would think I was eavesdropping.

 "Where I come from, if someone saves your life, you don't stab them in the back," Kirk said.

 "Vulcans cannot lie," Spock insisted.

 "Then I'm talking to the half-human part of you. All right?" Kirk said. "Do you understand why I went back for you?"

 Suddenly a man walked up beside them. "Commander Spock?" The man asked. "Frank Abbot, U.S.S. Bradbury. Guess you're with me."

 Spock looked at Kirk then back at the Frank. "Yes, Captain," he said with a nod. When Frank walked away, Spock turned back to Kirk.

 "The truth is... I'm going to miss you," Kirk said.

 Spock simply stared. He opened his mouth to say something, but quickly closed it. Kirk rolled his eyes and let out a sound of annoyance. He marched away, leaving Spock behind. Spock stared at him as he walked away. I figured now was my time to come in.

 I walked up behind Spock with a smile. "Hello, Spock," I said.

 He quickly turned to me and lightened his face. "Hello, Penny," he said in a slightly happier tone. He turned his gaze back towards Kirk.

 "Is.. everything alright?" I asked.

 "Affirmative. The Cap- Commander and I were just having a conversation," Spock said.

 I nodded and we both walked to our seats. I stood to the right of Captain Johnson. To my right was Captain Abbot, and to his right was Spock. Kirk was seated beside Admiral Pike across from us.

 Just then, Admiral Marcus walked in. "Thank you for convening on such short notice," he said. "Be seated."

 We all sat down and looked at Admiral Marcus. I could feel Spock looking at the back of my head. I smiled slightly, thinking of his deep chocolate brown eyes, his beautiful pointed ears, and those eyebrows. Don't even get me started-

 "By now, some of you have heard what happened in London," Admiral Marcus said, drawing me out of my thoughts. The lights dimmed down as the Padds in front of us lit up. "The target was a Starfleet data archive. Now it's a damned hole in the ground, 42 men and women are dead. One hour ago, I received a message from a Starfleet officer, who confessed to carrying out this attack, that he was being forced to do it by this man, Commander John Harrison. He's one of our own," Marcus explained as John Harrison's photo came up on our Padds. "And he is the man responsible for this act of savagery. For reasons unknown, John Harrison has just declared a one-man war against Starfleet. And under no circumstances are we to allow this man to escape Federation space. You here tonight represent the senior command of all the vessels in the region. And in the names of those we lost, you will run this bastard down. This is a manhunt, pure and simple, so let's get to work."