Chapter 24: "Because you are my friend."

*WARNING* I know this is spoilers, but I have to put it. Death.*

 I sprinted down the hallway, mumbling Jim's name over and over again. What did YOU DO, JIM!?!

 I ran through the doors and approached Scotty. His back was turned to me. I looked ahead and saw Spock crouched down in front of the warp core door. I saw an arm reach up, and a large door within the room beyond closed. I stood on my tippytoes and saw a pale Kirk lying on the ground. I gasped silently and looked at Scotty, who just looked at me with tears in his eyes. That room is full of radiation... Jim...

 Then I heard Kirk speak. "Hows our ship?" He barely managed to ask.

 Spock took a moment before replying. "Out of danger. You saved the crew."

 "You used what he wanted against him. That's a nice move," Kirk said as a small smile appeared on his lips.

 "It is what you would have done," Spock said, his voice shaking.

 "And this, this is what you would have done. It was only logical," Kirk said.

 Spock stared at Kirk in realization.

 "I'm scared, Spock," Kirk suddenly blurted out, tears running down his face. "Help me not be. How do you choose not to feel?"

 Spock looked down, furrowing his eyebrows in an attempt to not cry. He failed. "I do not know," Spock said, his voice full of sorrow. "Right now I am failing."

 I closed my eyes, tears pouring down. I covered my mouth to cover the sobs, but a few escaped. Scotty brought his arms around me and held me in an embrace, my head resting on his chest as I sobbed and watched Spock and Kirk.

 "I want you to know why I couldn't let you die. Why I went back for you," Kirk said, but struggled.

 "Because you are my friend," Spock said as a tear fell from his eye.

 Kirk started coughing. He put his hand up on the glass, and Spock put his hand on it too, doing the Vulcan hand sign on the window. Kirk stared at it for a moment, smiling. He struggled, but managed to get his hand to do the same. Spock was looking down at their hands, when he looked up to see Kirk coughing. He coughed and choked, struggling to breath. And just like that, his hand gently slid off of the glass, leaving Spock's hand to be alone. Spock watched as his best friend, his brother, die. He died in front of him, yet he couldn't even touch him. That was the hardest part of all. The need to embrace someone before they die. Spock had been deprived of that twice, now.

 Spock let his hand drop and looked down, his breaths coming hard and forced. I saw him glance back at me, so he was aware of my presence.  Then Spock did the only thing he knew to do to release his emotions. He looked up, eyes blazing with fury.

 " KHAAAAAAAAANNNN!!"