Chapter 1: Unwilling

"It was so intense down there! We were already a few layers into the Earth's crust, when suddenly..." Peridot explained excitedly to the Crystal Gems who listened amused. They all sat in a circle, somewhat amazed that Steven and Peridot managed to defeat the Cluster by themselves.

As Peridot continued with her play by play of the last few hours, Steven's mind had wandered somewhere else.

"Right Steven!" Peridot turned to him, "Tell them what happened in there!" When he didn't respond, instead staring at the barn, she looked at him strangely. "Steven?"

"Hold on a sec," He stood up, "I'll be right back." He walked over to the barn and stood in the doorway, staring at the restlessly sleeping Lapis. His worry for her was obvious.

"What's his problem?" Peridot asked.

"I'll go check on him," Garnet stood up.

When she got over there she placed an arm on his shoulder. "I see you're worried about your friend."

"Yeah..." He looked down, "When I saw her in my dreams, it looked like she was fighting so hard to keep Malachite from escaping."

"Lapis spent an unbearable amount of time fused with Jasper," The thought made Garnet uncomfortable. "The emotional and psychical strain from that kind of fusion...I can't imagine. She's going to need a lot of time to recover."

Steven sighed, "You're right."

"Come on," Garnet placed her hand on her hip, "I'm dying to hear more about what happened underground."

Steven chuckled, "Ok." They walked away from the barn and headed back to rejoin the group.

Unexpectedly Garnet stopped a few feet away, clutching her fists as if she was straining against something.

"Garnet? Are you ok?" Steven asked looking at Garnet worriedly.

"Of course I am," Garnet smiled somewhat nervously as the other gems rushed towards her, "I'm just a little-whoa!" She lost her balance slightly as she started glowing and changing shape, and as she fell to the ground, she split apart into two.