Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Our ancestors?" I voiced my confusion.
"Not your ancestors, but Will's and mine." Alec answered.
"You two are brothers!?" My shock was evident.
Both their faces cracked into smiles and Alec was soon to shoot down my proposal. "No, we're not brothers, I'm talking about our race."
Ok, to say I was confused was an understatement. "So... The werewolves?"
Will rolled his eyes. "We just said we were talking about us, not you, and your race is werewolf, so clearly we are not. Well, not all werewolf anyway." Will bluntly spit out, like he was trying to spell something out for a two year old.
Alec sent him a glare which Will returned with a shrug.
"Wait.. But that...what? That doesn't make any sense I've seen you both in your wolf forms and obviously I would not be bonded to Alec if he weren't a werewolf." I tried to reason.
"Are you daft? I just said we are partially werewolf." The annoyance was clear in Will's tone. Alec returned his rude comment this time with a warning growl.
"Maybe you should let me do the talking." The words would usually imply a suggestion, but when Alec said it to Will the command was not missed.
Will simply lowered his head and looked at the floor.
"Like Will said, we also have werewolf in us, just different amounts."
"Ok... So what else-" I was abruptly cut off by Will's head snapping up and his eyes seemed to be staring right through the wall.
"He's up."
Alec's eyes then fluttered closed and the lines formed between his eyebrows when he was concentrating on something. It was only a moment that they sat like that, Alec's eyes closed and Will seeming to be paying attention to something not in this room.
Soon Alec opened his eyes and the corner of Will's mouth turned up. "Well he's definitely out now." The recognizable expression of Alec trying to suppress a grin followed Will's words.
My gaze shifted between the two men sitting in front of me. "What are you two going on about now?"
"I'll explain that to you in the end." Alec assured me.
I blew a frustrated breath out of my mouth. "Ok, well get on with it."
"While I'm telling the story I don't want you to interrupt until I'm done, understand?" Alec sent me a pointed look, which I returned with a nod of my head.
"About 900 years ago humans became aware that they were not alone on the earth. Other species avoided humans, for they were the most populous. But, the humans soon found out about them. As you know, the first the humans discovered were werewolves, which makes sense since we had the most numbers of the supernatural world. They were discovered by a man seeing a human turn into a wolf, the man followed the wolf to his pack and discovered there were much more like the one he had seen change. Realizing this new being was a danger to mankind, he told others, and they arranged a hunting party. Within a minute of when they had entered the pack territory, they were all killed. They were outmatched. Only one human survived, and when he made his way back to his town he told the others of what had happened. After countless times of trying to kill the werewolves, none prevailed. The humans soon realized that the packs were far too strong, and soon came up with a long term plan which would ensure them of victory. They would hunt, and kill all female werewolves, seeing as they were the weaker of the two and were never really trained to fight. "

I was desperately trying to bite my tongue, but I already knew all of this!

"Over time they had killed almost all female werewolves, of course they never thought the male werewolves would begin to cross breed with humans. And it went unnoticed, of course by that time, humans rarely spoke of werewolves, for they were thought to have been extinct."
I couldn't help myself anymore. "Alec I already know all of this! Every werewolf does."
He was clearly frustrated with me, but I was getting tired of the stupid history lessons that I already knew.
"Chloe, I'm getting there, just be patient. I told you not to interrupt because I knew you would start doing this."
I huffed, crossed my arms and leaned my head on the wall waiting for him to continue. Will looked just about as bored as I did, leaning back in his chair and looking at the ceiling. I'm sure he, like every wolf, has heard this story just about a hundred times.
"It was soon brought up in a meeting between nobles that there could be more creatures the humans did not know of, and that they should hunt for them as well. And they found them, one by one the humans found their weaknesses and made them suffer for it. The others were not as hard to take down as werewolves, because there were not as many. But, the werewolves were never actually taken down. They almost never turned into their wolf forms, they lived among the humans in hiding, until they could build their numbers again. The other species did not have the luxury of blending in with the humans, and it was easy to see that they were different. "

I felt like I was in history class all over again. "And the humans killed all the other species, so now it's just werewolves and humans on this earth." I finished for him.

A smirk grew on Alec's face. "That's what you were told, what every werewolf child is told."
Now I was interested." What do you mean?"

"There was one race that the humans were terrified of, and for the longest time throughout history, were mistaken as gods. It's not at all surprising to see them in that way, for their power was greater than anyone could imagine. They were few in numbers, only about 200 in the world, but they were by far the most powerful.
They were given many different names, but they called themselves the Hasarens."

"Hasarens? How come I've never heard of them?" I asked. If these things were real, then why was I not taught about them in school?
"Chloe." Alec all but growled out in a warning. I know he wanted me to stay silent until he was done, but it was beginning to seem harder to do so.

"Like all other races, the humans forgot about them. The werewolves were actually allies with the Hasarens, they were one of the few races that were united. But, since they are now extinct, the memory of them has been lost with time. Only a hand full of wolves know of them today."

If these things were actually real, then I'm now in the handful of people who know about them.

"In earlier years the Hasarens were respected and worshiped, for they were, as I said, believed to be gods. So, there was peace between the humans and supernatural beings in the world, but times changed. Humans became more power hungry, and were frightened by the unknown. All supernatural races despised humans, for their hearts were easily corrupted and their minds easily manipulated. They were the weaklings of the world, but their numbers gave them power. The Hasarens hatred for them was above all others, and started long before the humans ever started their massacre of the supernaturals. For, they knew the weaknesses of men, and knew that the time would come where they would attack all others, they had foreseen it."

"What do you mean they had foreseen it?" I asked him. If they knew this was going to happen why wouldn't they stop it? And how exactly would they know it was going to happen?
"Some of the Hasarens had the ability to see into the future."
"Wha-what!? But.. That's not possible." I immediately dismissed the absurd idea.
Will started to chuckle. "You turn into a four and a half foot tall werewolf full of muscle that could easily break a tree, and your telling me you think the idea of seeing into the future is ridiculous?"
I glared at him. "But the whole 'seeing into the future thing' is complete human bullshit that their little... What is it... Future seers tell them?"
"Fortune tellers." Will corrected me, still with that mocking look on his face.
"Whatever, same thing." I rolled my eyes. When did I ever claim to be an expert on human behavior?
"Seeing into the future is a real gift, well at least it was." Alec was trying to get us back on track.
"So, you're telling me that those fortune tellers actually see the future?" I asked him completely baffled.
"Oh no, they're full of it. Only Hasarens possessed that gift, and it's one of the more powerful of them, therefore one of the rarest. Out of those 200 Hasarens I would say only 5 of them had that particular gift."

"Wait, so did the Hasarens posses other gifts?" I asked him.
"Each Hasaren had at least one power, and the number of powers depended on individual strength, and the potency of the power they manifested. For example, if someone had the ability to see the future, that would be their only gift, because of the magnitude of the gift."

"What were some other gifts?" I asked in curiosity.
"They could be anything, such as controlling the weather, teleporting, or just shooting fire out of there hands. The possibilities were endless."

I took a moment to really take that in. That would be amazing to possess a power like that! And I thought turning into a wolf was cool, I had nothing on the Hasarens. But, I could fantasize about having awesome powers later, I still had questions about what Alec was telling me.

"Ok. So, if they knew the humans were going to attack, why didn't they do something about it?"

"Because they knew how slim of a chance it was for a human to run into a Hasaren, and if they did the Hasaren would simply kill them to keep there existence a secret. They figured they would be safe, and even if the humans did find out, one Hasaren was enough to kill thousands." Alec sounded proud when talking about the Hasarens. I didn't miss the twinkle in his eyes as he spoke of them.
But, something still didn't make sense to me. "If these things were so great and powerful, how is it that the humans killed them?"

A sense of mourning and anger soon crossed not only Alec's expression, but Will's as well.
"Although they saw the humans' attack coming, and were prepared for it, there was something they didn't foresee. " Alec continued, "They never expected The Trine of Undoing."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Happy new year!! I made sure to update before 2013 was over;) I hope you enjoyed the chapter and a little bit of history. I was going to explain what the Trine of Undoing is in this chapter, but I thought that was to much information for one chapter.
Don't forget to vote/comment!