Protect.

Chapter 1

I could feel the thumping of our feet hitting the ground. Of course not like a normal human's, ours had a unnatural grace to them. Shifting would have been faster but considering we were running into another pack's territory, it would have been seen as a bigger threat coming in our wolf forms. As to why we were doing the unthinkable of running into another pack's territory, when the punishment for doing so was death. Well, we had a good reason. My pack was being attacked by the Black Rock Mountain pack. Why would they do this? Because of me. Me. This was all my fault. My father, the beta of are pack, was going to be killed along with the rest. Our pack had about 60 wolves. The Black Rock Mountain pack, about 80, we were out numbered. But the Black Rock Mountain pack made a huge mistake when attacking, they thought my pack would hand me over to those beasts. They were a violent and cruel pack. My whole pack, sent me running, willing to sacrifice themselves for me. Why? Because I was the only female werewolf in our pack. Females were extremely rare nowadays. The United States contains only 3. One was already mated and the other was just a regular unranked wolf. But me, I was born into a line of betas. That made me strong, I was very craved by male wolves for this reason. I could beat most in a fight and I am very defiant. Not many were more dominant then me. The alpha or the alpha's son and maybe a beta, depending on who, were the only ones that could possibly be more dominant. Females in general were craved, but one with my lineage, you might as well stick a bow on my head and give me to a wolf saying this is the best thing that will ever happened to you.

"Chloe" I was brought back out of my thoughts by my best friend.

The only one that would accompany me to run from our pack. He was supposed to keep me safe, he was told to do so by my alpha, for he was the alpha's son. But Devin would never need to be told to protect me at whatever the cost. He would sacrifice himself at any time for me, and I for him. That was the problem with us, we where both so willing to die for one another and would get annoyed when the one would put themselves in danger for the other. Especially him.

"I'll be ok" was my immediate response. But I was anything but ok. I always put up a strong front. Something that Devin could see right through. He gave me that look, an all knowing look. He could see right through the front I was putting up. He saw the fear, something I rarely showed, but there wasn't anything he could do to help me.

And that was it. He couldn't tell me it was ok because it wasn't, he couldn't tell me it would get better, because he didn't know himself.

So instead he stopped in his tracks and wrapped me in his strong arms. Devin's hugs were always comforting. I buried my face into his chest, and one stray tear fell down my face. He only held me tighter. I then pulled away, we were wasting time.

"We need to keep moving" I said

He gave me one last look, and we were off again. I could feel the battle going on in my head through the pack connection. When I saw our third in commands head get taken off by the alpha of the other pack. Caden. I gasped.

"Block them out", I herd Devin say. I looked at him in disbelief. He wanted me to block out my pack when I had caused what was happening to them!? Because I couldn't bare to look at them all being killed! That was a cowards move.

" I know you don't want to Chloe but you must, I know what it will do to you." He gave me that look again. Soft but stern, apologetic and understanding. I knew if I did not listen to him he might make it an order. Something we often avoided with each other. He never wanted to put himself as my superior just because of his bloodline. But if he had to, it would be done. I complied and blocked them out. But not before I sent a final I love you and goodbye to my father.

"We're about to cross the pack border" Devin informed me.

We were going into the Glacier Forest pack's land. The biggest and strongest pack on the North American continent. They had hundreds of wolves and their land stretched from Glacier National park into the Canadian Rockies. Why were we going into the biggest pack in the North American continent? Because if they chose to accept us, the us being a long shot but me being accepted was almost certain, they could easily protect us against the Black Rock Mountain pack. But hopefully we would go unnoticed, which was a far fetched idea, and just stay in the protection of there land as no other pack would dare enter. If we were caught I knew I would not be killed and accepted into there pack, but I could not say the same for Devin. Hopefully I would be able to keep him alive.