Protect.

Chapter 4

"Did you sleep well?"

I nearly jump out of my skin. I hadn't realized anyone was here with me. I went downstairs to get something to eat from the kitchen. It was around 5 in the morning, I usually never woke up this early, but I couldn't sleep. To much on my mind I guess.

I turned around to see who had spoken.

"Well enough", I spoke to the beta. I didn't remember his name... I don't even think he told me.

"My name is Brent by the way. I'm the beta." It's like he read my mind.

"Yeah, I figured.", I didn't mean to sound mean or anything but it kind of came out that way. Well, I'm not a morning person.

After that I thought it was just going to be an awkward silence so I made my way over to the fridge. He entered into the kitchen as well, watching me. I had to think of something to say.

"You're up early.", I told him.

"So are you."

I turned around to look at him, debating. I guess I should give a little information for him to confide in me.

"I couldn't sleep."

He nodded. "I usually get here early, to report back to the alpha about the patrols and other pack business."

"Must suck to get up so early everyday."

He smirked. "I have a commitment to this pack. So I do what is asked of me."

"That's a nice way to look at it."

We both turned around when we heard someone coming down the stairs. What if it was Alec! Ok, my wolf was feeding into my emotions a little to much.

I breathed in to try and catch the scent. A smile crept onto my face. It was Devin.

He reached the bottom and looked at me. He had on the same smile I was giving him. Along with a baby blue t-shirt and athletic shorts. I guess that was what they gave him to wear. I didn't really pay any attention to what he was wearing when he and Alec got into that fight last night.

"Morning, beautiful." I rolled my eyes. He knew I looked awful right now because I just rolled out of bed, so being Devin, he had to say I looked beautiful.

I looked over at Brent who was glaring at Devin.

"Morning, handsome." I said with my best smile. He just gave me the same one back.

"So what's up? You never wake up early." He said as he was approaching me to go to the fridge. I took a bite out of the apple I grabbed and shrugged my shoulders.

He just gave me a look as if saying, 'mhhmm, sure.'

So I just avoided his gaze. He pulled out a orange.

"You getting ready for the tests today?" I tried to sound casual, but he caught the hint of worry in my voice. He turned to look at me.

"I'll be ok, Fern."

I looked at him for a few seconds, then nodded my head. "You better be."

He just smiled.

I then heard someone coming down the stairs, and his scent engulfed me. He came into view and immediately came to a stop and started growling. He was glaring daggers at Devin. I turned to Devin to see what he did wrong. I hadn't realized how close we were standing to each other. I also hadn't noticed that Brent was giving Devin warning growls before Alec even got down here. Ops.