Time to be real

• Dedicated to Anu

Chapter 3- Time to be real

“Oof!”

I groaned as I picked myself off the ground. How could I fall off such a ginormous bed?! I groggily rubbed my eyes with the back of my hands as I head towards the bathroom.

“How can you sleep so long?”  I turned to see my cousin Shawn. He looked like he had woken up a long time ago.

“Well, you see, I have this problem…” I said, taking in a shaky breath. “And you’re supposed to get a good amount of sleep, if you want to get a little healthier. So I always sleep in and sometimes I’m so tired that I can sleep in until after noon.”

He frowned, still looked a little confused but nodded. I gave him a small reassuring smile, poor boy; I didn’t want him or anyone to worry over me. 

“Mommy told me to tell you to get ready for your appointment.” He said before running off.

I trudged my way downstairs pouting. I know I should be more serious but I was just tired. I went through this once, now why did I have to go through it again?! It wasn’t fair and I was scared as hell. I know I act like I don’t care but this is so terrifying.

“Morning honey,” my aunt greeted me.

Not really, I thought.

“Don’t stress too much about it. We’re going to the oncologist today, so we’ll talk then.” She said giving me a reassuring smile.

She then gave me a plate full of chocolate chip pancakes. And boy did they smell good. I dove into them not caring that I probably looked like a rabid squirrel right now.

“These are so good.” I moaned with a mouthful.

Everyone chuckled. Then my uncle walked in and didn’t even notice me. I frowned a little hurt. That was until he turned around with surprised look when his eyes fell on me.

“But…weren’t you….huh?” he trailed sounding very confused.

“I came last night.” I said rolling my eyes.

“OH” and then he came running at me with his eyes wide. I screamed when we both went barreling down to the ground. “Sorry.” He said sheepishly.

Rolling my eyes I gave him a bear hug. Poor guy, he was probably so busy in work that he forgot I was coming. You see my uncle is a very high and mighty lawyer around here. I was so proud of him; he worked really hard to get here.

Since my pancakes had gotten cold now, Aunt Jamie had decided to warm them up. With that free time I started to help everyone with the plates.

Once we were all seated together: Shawn, Ella, Aunt Jamie, Uncle George, and I. we started eating, we talked and laughed. I couldn’t help but grin when I realized how they accepted me so easily into this family.

This was how a real family meal felt like and I couldn’t wait to have more.

~.~.~.~.~

“So Alexandra Parks, age 17 and female. This is your second time diagnosed with cancer, am I right? You were first diagnosed at the age of six. I see you found out during the first stage, hmm, and you conquered it very easily.” He said giving me a once over, not in a creepy pedophilic way though.

Then he turned to my aunt and continued, “She seems like a strong fighter, don’t worry if she’s done it once, she can do it again.” He said with a reassuring smile.

That seems to be happening a lot, reassuring smiles or pats.

“We’re just going to go through some tests and figure out what’s going on right now.” He said pulling some tools.