Suddenly Starlet--Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Laney had just reached her locker when she saw Kat rushing over to her, books in hand. Once Kat had circled around to her other side, Laney could tell she was itching to gossip.

            “Well?” she asked, hopping from one foot to the other in anticipation.

            Laney raised an eyebrow at her friend before undoing the lock and opening her locker door.

            “Do you need to go to the bathroom or something?” she asked, innocently.

            Kat glanced down at her feet and stopped bouncing immediately. Then she glared at Laney as she placed both her hands on her hips. “No. And don’t play dumb with me, Laney Herman,” she said, leaning against the locker next to hers. “I know you had ‘the talk’ last night.”

            Laney smiled slyly as she put her English book on the shelf and placed her science text in her backpack.

            It had been too late for her to call Kat the night before, once her parents had given her the go-ahead to act.  It had even been tougher for her to fall asleep, with all the anticipation.  And even though she had been waiting all day to spill to someone, she was having entirely too much fun torturing Kat to come right out and say it.

            Laney zipped up her bag in one motion and slammed the door to her locker. Then, without even answering Kat’s question, she began to saunter to her next class.

            Just a few seconds more. A good actress has to keep her audience waiting.

            “Ooooh, sometimes you’re such a little witch,” Kat hissed at her, as she raced to keep up. “You know, you’re acting just like Shelby.”

            Whoa, now that was a little harsh.

            “Okay, okay, I’ll tell you, but never compare me to Shelby again, okay?” Laney said, seriously.

            Kat linked arms with her and they began to walk.

            “So, then my dad asked me if I wanted to be an actress and I was like, ‘Uh, yeah!’  And he totally caved,” Laney finished up as they walked into the lunchroom.

            “Unbelievable,” Kat said as she collapsed into a chair at their usual table. She stared at Laney shaking her head. “You do realize that this is like, your ticket to fame, fortune and most important, boys, right?”

            “Nuh, uh,” Laney said, making a face as she pulled out her brown lunch bag.

            Before she could finish her thought though, Laney saw the shadow fall on the table in front of her.

            “Laney’s gonna get the boys?” a voice behind her asked sarcastically. “Yeah right. Like that’s gonna happen!”

            “Shelby,” Laney answered between clenched teeth as she turned to look at the girl. “What are you doing over here? And eavesdropping, too?”

            The tall blonde cocked her delicate head to one side and smiled at Laney sweetly.

            Man, I thought they killed the wicked witch of the west! Where’s a house when you need one?

            “With the big mouths you cheerleaders have, I didn’t have to eavesdrop to hear what you were saying. I just have to have ears,” Shelby retorted.