Suddenly Starlet--Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty Six

            Though she wouldn’t have ever admitted it, Laney had never really kissed anyone before. So, the thought of having her first kiss happen in front of a few semi-famous people, a director and a dozen or so crew members had her freaking out a little. In fact, Laney had already made her way to the bathroom four times because she thought she might throw up.

            For over a half an hour, Laney had paced the trailer nervously, attempting to distract herself by checking out her new digs. There was a sort of booth with a table off to the left as you entered the trailer, and a small kitchen directly opposite it, with a microwave, sink and a mini fridge.

As she walked through the narrow hallway toward the back, she passed by a bathroom about the same size as your typical airplane toilet. The only difference was that there was a real sink in there too, as opposed to the little basins planes usually had.

Continuing to the end of the hallway, Laney found herself in a little bedroom, which held a double size bed, and mirrors which were mounted on the walls—on every wall actually. Two tiny closets stood on either side of the room and there was a TV mounted above the doorway.

Laney wandered back into the living room and crouched down near the other entertainment center. She opened the cabinet doors below the TV and peered inside. She was surprised to see a DVD/video player and the newest electronic gadget from PlayStation.

Laney suddenly realized what it was that Wes was most likely doing to keep himself occupied while they waited.

Before she could pop in a game and try her hand at the PS2, there was a knock on her trailer door.

“Come in,” Laney yelled out, closing the cabinet and standing back up.

This time a girl’s head popped inside the door and she smiled brightly as she stared in at Laney.

“Hi Laney,” the girl said. “Time for hair and makeup!”

Laney’s mom stayed behind because her soap “Days of our Lives” was on. So after grabbing her warm-up jacket off the chair, Laney followed the girl back outside.

This girl was much friendlier than her previous guide and pointed buildings out to her as they walked to a larger trailer nearby. When they had arrived, she gestured for Laney to head inside. Her guide waved her fingers goodbye and power-walked back the way they’d come. Taking this as the hint that the tour was over, Laney nervously walked into the trailer.

Inside, there were five chairs lined up all in a row and facing a long stretch of mirrors. Lights, which were set up everywhere, illuminated the place, making the room almost brighter than it had been outside. Laney’s eyes widened as she saw the piles of makeup covering the length of the counter. Lipstick, blush, eyebrow pencils, it was all there, right in front of her in all different colors and sizes.

“Well, you must be Laney,” a girl’s voice said from behind her.

Laney spun around to see a girl with a crooked smile measuring her up. The girl had dark brown, stick straight hair, which was cut into a short bob. She wore thick black rimmed glasses that went up into a point at the sides.

“Hi,” Laney said holding her hand out to the girl.

“My name is Sage,” she said with a little bit of a southern accent. “Well, why don’t we just get you started?”

“Okay,” Laney said, following Sage into the room.

Sage led Laney over to the far chair and patted the chair until she took a seat.