Suddenly Starlet--Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

            “Wait, so explain this to me again,” Kat said as she sat across from Laney in the lunchroom the next day. “You’re leaving? For good?”

            Laney rolled her eyes and laughed at her friend.

            “Not for good, you geek. Just for a few months. I think Mr. Hyperman said it should only take 6 weeks to shoot and then I might have to go back later to take care of last minute promotional things or something like that,” Laney said, popping a handful of chips in her mouth.

            Kat chewed her food thoughtfully without saying anything.

            “What?” Laney asked, noticing her friend’s silence.

            “You better not become a butt head,” Kat said finally.

            “Whoa, Kat. Tell me what you really think,” Laney said sarcastically.

            “I’m just saying that, things are about to change for you. Whether you realize it or not, after you make this movie, you’re not just going to be Laney, captain of the cheerleading squad and Shelby’s personal punching bag. You’re going to be Laney, movie star,” Kat said, picking at her PB&J. “Just don’t become a butt head and forget who your friends are. That’s all I’m saying.”

            Taken aback by what Kat had said, Laney leaned across the table and touched her bud’s hand.

            “There’s no way I could forget who my friends are,” Laney said sincerely. Then added, “Besides, it’s not like you’d ever let me forget anyways.”

            “You know it,” Kat said with a little attitude.

            The two girls smiled at each other, until Kat finally made a face and then took a sip of her drink.

            “Well good. Now that that’s out of the way, we can get down to all the details,” Kat said. “So, what’s the part, when do you leave and do you get to kiss any boys?”

            Laney sat up straight in her seat, excited to have someone to talk to about the movie.

            “I’ll be playing a young girl, Diane, who is basically the sidekick, or best friend of the main girl in the movie. I originally went out for the lead role, but I ended up totally sucking—well, not too much though, since they gave me this part. But anyways, now I play this kind of cool friend of the popular girl and everything,” Laney said out of breath. “I have to leave in a week to head back to L.A. to start getting ready to film and I’m not sure whether I have to kiss any boys or not. God I hope not.”

            “A week? That means you’re going to miss most of summer,” Kat exclaimed.

            “Yeah, but that’s good for me, because then I don’t have to worry about school or anything. Since school lets out next week anyway, it’s perfect timing. Besides, nothing exciting ever happens around here during the summer anyway,” Laney added.

            “I can’t believe you’re totally ditching me on summer vacation. I’m not going to have anyone to hang out with now,” Kat said, sounding hurt.

            “That’s not true Kat. There’s a ton of people you can hang out with around here,” Laney said, gesturing around the cafeteria. “And it just means that you can come over to L.A. and visit me. If you come up, we can go to Disneyland or something.”